microsoft buys github

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: microsoft buys github

Post by jmaustpc »

vejmarie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:43 pm I spent some time reading this thread, and
I was about to post something similar to you when I your post arrived.

Some points
kkremitzki wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:10 pm Another very interesting tool in this regard is https://radicle.xyz/ which uses IPFS (Interplanetary File System) to provide a git repository, issue tracker, and pull request system in a decentralized manner. Still rather early but it has potential.
You are in the USA, hence under USA law without a doubt, hence you and other citizens must obey your laws or suffer the serious consequences.

FreeCAD moving the infrastructure to a more rational, reasonable, country/region is utterly useless if we still have USA residents accessing or particularly having any control over the infrastructure. So for example if we decided to move to Europe for example, then we need Europeans or at least non-USA residents to fully take over all control positions. Otherwise you USA residents can just be arrested/charged with breaking the law, a law seen as very serious, and suffer the consequences.

Moving the infrastructure by itself clears the organisation potentiality from USA laws, but absolutely not the individuals if they are personally under USA laws then they are still responsible for breaching the laws, even if the organisation is not.

My comments about Europe were IF they don't do the same thing, but if they do then there is no point anyway.

As we have just seen with TOR and our resent spam flood, these stupid "privacy" systems can just as easily become a tool for criminals. Government and police etc. are not fundamentally wrong or evil, they are a necessary functional part of our societies. They need to be just, good/kind, credible, functional non-corrupt etc. but this idea that we don't need them at all is stupid and childish. We need more good quality law enforcement on the Internet not less. The amount of scams, spam, terrorism, etc. is beyond anything reasonable.
yorik wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:34 pm We are not entitled to change laws
vejmarie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:43 pm but we are not entitled to change the laws.
You two may be suffering from inaccuracies due to translation, but you are so totally wrong. A modern democratic country works on the principle that you have the right to change (or at least attempt to change) the law...but not break the law.

yorik wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:34 pm just because some government of some country said so,
Depends greatly on how exactly you word you comment, many would disagree with you depending on the exact details. If you mean one country's government decides for the world then yes, that is very bad, and we should be pressuring our own governments to not just follow along like sheep but make up our own minds and implement our own informed, carefully considered, responses. However most I think will agree that we have all had enough of bad governments/countries however you personally define "bad", which will not be the same for all. Most want to see our governments do something to stop "bad" behaviour without going to war and killing another tens of millions in yet another war or world war. So most people want sanctions pressure etc. of some sort against the most extreme countries/governments at least.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I'd love to engage in political discussion :o, but I think we might be better off avoiding it :D

The problem: some users/(potential) developers cannot access FreeCAD repo because of some local laws.

Potential solution: passive repo mirrors in areas accessible for all users (Europe? Switzerland?). Do we have anyone from the filtered out areas in the forum watching this thread? It would be nice if they could test access to the suggested locations to make sure they work.

P.S. Thanks for pointing out that my gitlab idea was not any good.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

PrzemoF wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:19 pm Potential solution: passive repo mirrors in areas accessible for all users (Europe? Switzerland?)
Definitely the best thing to do... Let's keep an eye open for possible other mirrors. I'll have a look around here too...
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

PrzemoF wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:19 pm ...
Do we have anyone from the filtered out areas in the forum watching this thread? It would be nice if they could test access to the suggested locations to make sure they work.
ebrahim raeyat wrote: Pinging Iran.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Does anybody know if there is similar hosting service accessible from mainland China?

There are discussion in Chinese Forum that directly browsing www.freecadweb.org there is terribly slow and FC becomes virtually not accessible.

@leeon copied the installer I transfer him to some services Baidu for their colleagues to download.

He even make http://freecadweb.cn/ for guys to discuss, seem more discussion there then here :)

Any idea.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

vocx wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:33 am
PrzemoF wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:19 pm ...
Do we have anyone from the filtered out areas in the forum watching this thread? It would be nice if they could test access to the suggested locations to make sure they work.
ebrahim raeyat wrote: Pinging Iran.
In iran this sit is filtered: https://radicle.xyz/
google.png
google.png (33.44 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
also github!!

github.png
github.png (25.31 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

yorik wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:47 am
PrzemoF wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:19 pm Potential solution: passive repo mirrors in areas accessible for all users (Europe? Switzerland?)
Definitely the best thing to do... Let's keep an eye open for possible other mirrors. I'll have a look around here too...
I didn't announce because I waited to check if the autoupdate script I made works but framagit mirror is up and accessible here : https://framagit.org/freecad/FreeCAD

I have a server in Switzerland and I know some local free software association which might like to help me build a Geneva mirror. Let me some time to investigate into this please.
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Cyril wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:14 am I didn't announce because I waited to check if the autoupdate script I made works but framagit mirror is up and accessible here : https://framagit.org/freecad/FreeCAD
:+1: One (maybe stupid) question : would that be possible to replicate the release builds? Maybe not everyone is willing/able to compile. ;)
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

openBrain wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:12 am :+1: One (maybe stupid) question : would that be possible to replicate the release builds? Maybe not everyone is willing/able to compile. ;)
It looks like Gitlab API needs to be used to generate release builds. As release system is not git standard (correct me if I am wrong). It not as easy to auto update. It might be easier on a self hosted system. So my answer is no unless someone has a way to automate this. I think git is not the way to go for this. Maybe a simple html / md page with link to release builds.
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I just created another mirror of FreeCAD on codeberg.org:
https://codeberg.org/FreeCAD/FreeCAD