Project faces onto curved surfaces

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vincent B
Veteran

Re: Project faces onto bended surface

Post by Vincent B »

Hi, and thanks for your tool. It's very helpful to use it. It was a lack in Freecad. ;)
I found a bug during trying a projection on sphere or cylinder:
Some wires are missing. And projections are made on 2 faces.
Request improvements:
1.Could you turn projection objects into parametric objects? (following parents objects).
2.Could make possible to project a curve onto the whole object (not only a face: see the facebinder)
Thanks a lot.
Attachments
ProjectionBug.FCStd
(156.83 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.62 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

Thanks for your feedback. I will have a look during the week why edges are missing.
to 1. --> parametric would be a very cool addition. Can someone point me to a forum topic or a how to where i can find info to make it parametric?
to 2. --> When i started i decided to just go on a single face. Reason: The underlying 3d kernel (OCC) is not able to always create a face out of wires or edges if the are lying on several faces. If you have a projection laying on more the one face, it can no create a face out of the edges proper.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

apeltauer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:10 am Thanks for your feedback. I will have a look during the week why edges are missing.
to 1. --> parametric would be a very cool addition. Can someone point me to a forum topic or a how to where i can find info to make it parametric?
In this commit part refine shape was made parametric:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/commit/787f5184e
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

GlouGlou wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:56 am 1.Could you turn projection objects into parametric objects? (following parents objects).
:)

yes, this is the main reason why I have modified your "multisection" example, I wanted to make it fully parametric and stable,
- one problem are the non parametric projections (fixed in my model with extrusions)
- second problem is the non parametric mirror, that I have posted about here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38388
- third is the Curves TrimedFace, its "picked point" does not stay fully parametric, so when you move or rotate the model you get wrong trimmed faces (fixed in my model with facebinder)

Update: Chris_G improved the Curves TrimedFace "picked point", so it should be more stable now

testing FreeCAD with such example models from other fully parametric cad programs and reporting the problems that break the fully parametric workflow or make it too hard, is IMO the best way how we can improve and fix FreeCAD to make it work properly and also for users to learn and start better understanding how to do fully parametric models.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

apeltauer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:10 am Thanks for your feedback. I will have a look during the week why edges are missing.
here is another example, where Chris_G updated the trim face tool to make the pick point parametric... but I don't know if it is really helpful for your case :| https://github.com/tomate44/CurvesWB/co ... a5696618b3
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Is this supposed to work with a shapestring?

If so, how?

I just get a projection object in the tree. :?:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Projection-1.FCStd
(20.48 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Ok, so I'm not that familiar with using the shapestring. I thought that previously when I created a shapestring I got the outline and a face. But, for whatever reason I only get the outline.

So if I use the explode object on the shapestring, I get a face of each letter. (If I'm doing it wrong please let me know... ;) )

Then I can use the faces with this projection tool.
Projection-2.png
Projection-2.png (46.26 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:03 pm So if I use the explode object on the shapestring, I get a face of each letter. (If I'm doing it wrong please let me know... ;) )
I remember the same. It seems that Preferences->Draft->GeneralSettings->"Fill objects with faces when possible" is no longer working. Regression?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'm working on the Part ProjectionOnSurface wiki page
Can we make an SVG of the icon for this feature ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

The icon is attached
Part_ProjectionOnSurface.svg
(11.91 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
The wiki graphic was made by
renatorivo wrote:ping