Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zolko »

mfasano wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:51 pm This fixes it.
OK, so I released a bug-fix version 0.5.5

And then, at looking at GitHub, I see that some people made comments, and even proposed code improvements ... and I have no idea how to merge/use them. I did merge one through the web interface of GitHub, but it doesn't appear on my local branch. WTF ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Zolko wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:45 am
mfasano wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:51 pm This fixes it.
OK, so I released a bug-fix version 0.5.5

And then, at looking at GitHub, I see that some people made comments, and even proposed code improvements ... and I have no idea how to merge/use them. I did merge one through the web interface of GitHub, but it doesn't appear on my local branch. WTF ?
Maybe you should consider using Gitkraken, which is a GUI for git. It's proprietary but i use it for open source only. It's very useful to visualize what is going on in a repo. git is a bit convoluted but what you are trying to understand is thankfully not complex git stuff. Feel free to private message me.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
mfasano

Post by mfasano »

Hello Zolko;

Have you tested Assembly4 for with Realthunders link merge? If you do not want to build it. Maybe you can use this PPA.

https://code.launchpad.net/~kkremitzki/ ... ad-staging
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mfasano wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:10 pm Have you tested Assembly4 for with Realthunders link merge? If you do not want to build it. Maybe you can use this PPA.
Thank-you for the link. I didn't have yet the time to test Asm4 with the Link::Merge, and I'll be offline for a couple of weeks. Cheers
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

After App::Link oriented PR gets merged hopefully Assembly 4 module will start to work with upstream FreeCAD. And hence people will be able to install it through Addon manager.

That should hopefully increase the (install) success rate.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

triplus wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 pm After App::Link oriented PR gets merged hopefully Assembly 4 module will start to work with upstream FreeCAD. And hence people will be able to install it through Addon manager.

That should hopefully increase the (install) success rate.
Not enough.. it will need also Expressions.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If i remember correctly a rather small modification was needed (expression engine) to get it working? In such case i guess that could get upstream too. For the purpose of getting more people involved in Assembly 4 discussions.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:26 pm Not enough.. it will need also Expressions.
good point, yes

triplus wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:03 pm If i remember correctly a rather small modification was needed (expression engine) to get it working?
yes-and-no: Asm4 uses the extended ExpressionEngine that is included as standard in realthunder's asm3 branch, no modifications needed. But we probably can't use the ExpressionEngine that comes as standard in v0.19-pre, I don't yet know whether realthunder has included that in his PR. I have to check.

But I'm also thinking about another way for Asm4 that wouldn't need the ExpressionEngine at all. And that could lead to a future merge of Asm2+ and Asm4, by using the Asm2+ solver with the Asm4 assembly structure. We'll have to discuss that.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

To include Link support in ASM2+ has been discussed earlier, The conclusion was that support for link should be implemented when Link got merged. so soon ish ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Zolko wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:13 pm We'll have to discuss that.
Yes.