Has anyone installed all of the add on features and made it available for uploading / downloading

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jcl30378

Re: Has anyone installed all of the add on features and made it available for uploading / downloading

Post by jcl30378 »

I just downloaded Free Cad but there is no option for assembly in the drop down tab. I loaded the windows 64 bit version. Is assembly an additional add on or should it have loaded with the download? Any Help would be appreciated.
r-frank
Veteran

Re: Has anyone installed all of the add on features and made it available for uploading / downloading

Post by r-frank »

jcl30378 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm I just downloaded Free Cad but there is no option for assembly in the drop down tab. I loaded the windows 64 bit version. Is assembly an additional add on or should it have loaded with the download? Any Help would be appreciated.
Hello.

Please read here.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
darryln

Post by darryln »

Add-ons are developed by the community, independent of the FreeCAD base program. I think a "kitchen sink" binary with all add-ons included would be an unstable unusable hairball. Best practice is to be very selective about add-ons. The Add-on manager in 0.17_pre makes it easy.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

darryln wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 am Add-ons are developed by the community, independent of the FreeCAD base program. I think a "kitchen sink" binary with all add-ons included would be an unstable unusable hairball. Best practice is to be very selective about add-ons. The Add-on manager in 0.17_pre makes it easy.
Agreed +1
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
quotelawrence

Post by quotelawrence »

thanks everyone that actually took the time to be helpful, and not sarcastic, I did however learn that the term add on actually meant add on, I at first thought the add on's were just a feature from Freecad, I had no idea that actual software engineers had written and produced these incredible features, so I did learn from the teachers and yes I also learned from the sarcasm, some are educators, some are agitators, thanks to the educators :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

quotelawrence wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:29 pm yes I also learned from the sarcasm, some are educators, some are agitators, thanks to the educators :D
I cannot really see the sarcasm in this 2 years old topic, but that can be due to my limited English. But you obviously learned from the sarcasmers too, so they are educators as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

off-topic: this thread contains an @r-frank response 2 months before he passed. RIP Roland.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Topic is old but has anyone really tried that? To download all existing addons in addonmanager and make freecad work? I downloaded a bunch and after they become too many freecad just crashes. Not any specific combination. Made a topic in Help subforum but no actual results.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Last time i tried failure rate for installed modules was around 10%:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=32381
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

kisolre wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am Topic is old but has anyone really tried that? To download all existing addons in addonmanager and make freecad work? I downloaded a bunch and after they become too many freecad just crashes. Not any specific combination. Made a topic in Help subforum but no actual results.
Did you try deactivating some and see if that made a difference? It can be done in customize workbench tab. I have some that I don't use disabled to remove some clutter from the workbench selection list.
Snip macro screenshot-786538.png
Snip macro screenshot-786538.png (40.08 KiB) Viewed 1374 times