Ticket #4073 - Discussion for MacOS Catalina permissions issue

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JuM1697

Ticket #4073 - Discussion for MacOS Catalina permissions issue

Post by JuM1697 »

Hi!

@Kunda1 asked me to create this thread (I hope I did it correct though).

He want's this to discuss following bug: issue #4073 [MacOSX Catalina] Unable to save (most likely due to security permissions)
Last edited by Kunda1 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added ticket to topic and link to ticket
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4073 - Discussion for MacOS Catalina permissions issue

Post by chrisb »

JuM1697 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:48 pm He want's this to discuss following bug: issue #4073 [MacOSX Catalina]
Not true. You want to discuss this bug. You ignored the huge message in the bug tracker and Kunda1 reminded you.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
AndrewCSP

Post by AndrewCSP »

MacOS Catalina (macOS 10.15) is not publicly released yet.
I can't reproduce your suggested bug with the Mojave, current MacOS - a Save dialog always opens (although it takes many seconds to respond).
You should wait until Catalina is finalised and released in case its a MacOS issue.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16117 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.2)
Hash: dbb4cc6415bac848a294f03b80f65e888d531742
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
JuM1697

Post by JuM1697 »

Hi all,

thanks for your replies.
I'm well aware of the fact that Catalina is not an official release yet. But as far as I know, Beta software has exactly the use to find bugs before everyone gets access to the official release and everybody will experience that issue and will report it.
But who am I to judge your software development and software testing skills/opinions.
JuM1697

Post by JuM1697 »

If you let me know how I could support you on tracing down the bug, obviously I'd be available. I could also provide a video of the "non-saving".
AndrewCSP

Post by AndrewCSP »

Thanks for the offer of help. I am not using that beta software. I am an Apple developer along with very many others.
Since you have installed it, I am sure you are aware of Apple's stance.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq says:
"... the public beta software is Apple confidential information. ... Don’t blog, post screen shots, tweet, or publicly post information about the public beta software, and don't discuss the public beta software with or demonstrate it to others who are not in the Apple Beta Software Program."

It is made available so that you can send feedback to Apple.
"When you experience an issue or something does not work as expected, send your feedback directly to Apple"

As you rightly say, it is made available so that developers can test against it. The developers of FreeCAD themselves can test it and privately discuss it, but not publicly in an open forum.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Should the issue be closed if we cannot discuss it? :twisted:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

it's good we're made aware of this.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
orcaman42

Post by orcaman42 »

Freecad was given free access to the entire hard drive. No error messages from the OS. It's still not saving anything. :(
orcaman42

Post by orcaman42 »

AndrewCSP wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 am Thanks for the offer of help. I am not using that beta software. I am an Apple developer along with very many others.
Since you have installed it, I am sure you are aware of Apple's stance.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq says:
"... the public beta software is Apple confidential information. ... Don’t blog, post screen shots, tweet, or publicly post information about the public beta software, and don't discuss the public beta software with or demonstrate it to others who are not in the Apple Beta Software Program."

It is made available so that you can send feedback to Apple.
"When you experience an issue or something does not work as expected, send your feedback directly to Apple"

As you rightly say, it is made available so that developers can test against it. The developers of FreeCAD themselves can test it and privately discuss it, but not publicly in an open forum.
The point of having an open beta phase is for a discussion to happen between developers & creators to RESOLVE any issues prior to release. Apple isn't able to fix this issue so there's no reason to report this to Apple. I would also like to point out that this is far from an "open" forum as you imply as you do have to be registered before gaining access to the forums. Too the only person who could effect any change to the code would have to be an apple user who was running the same OS (who would also be an Apple user & subject to the same license Apple set forth so no "break" of agreement has occurred.) If Apple wants to monitor all tech discussions without censorship then perhaps they should make a space available for developers / users to converse? If not then such discussions are better had outside of Apple's control. Too if Apple wants feedback then they're going to have to get their feedback software to be able to upload a little more than 1 issue every 30 mins.