Simple engraving question

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Simple engraving question

Post by falviani »

Hi,

Here is my configuration:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17505 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 755536e9df94d2d39da1468420f1fd333c35da7a
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

I wish to engrave an arbitrary design traced from a piece of artwork (thanks, sliptonic!) The Engrave operation is very focused on shapestrings; when I tried to use it with my art it generated nothing beyond the prefix and suffix codes. What operation should I be using? I have attached the original artwork I traced:
Celtic_Triad_clip_art_small.png
Celtic_Triad_clip_art_small.png (1.87 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
Thanks in advance,
Frank Alviani
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Simple engraving question

Post by chrisb »

You can use the FromShape command.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

falviani wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:13 pmThe Engrave operation is very focused on shapestrings; when I tried to use it with my art it generated nothing beyond the prefix and suffix codes. What operation should I be using?
The engrave op can also use a sketch or individual edges from a model or a sketch.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I tried for quite a while with sketches, clones of sketches and more, but nothing showed up in the BaseFeature list. Finally I hit the Ok button of the engrave operation anyway and - surprise - the path was created :) .

I was successful wit a sketch on top level of the tree using this as 2D geometry in the job. Did I do something wrong or is the BaseFeature list currently unused?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
falviani

Post by falviani »

Hi,

I enabled the experimental feature as suggested, and it creates a feature area outside the job. It seems to just contain a reference to the sketch made from the imported image plane. I cannot get a usable tool path generated from it. How do I generate a tool path? And what is a feature area anyway if it can't be used to generate a tool path?

Sorry about noob questions, but I'm quite new to this.

Frank Alviani
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 am I tried for quite a while with sketches, clones of sketches and more, but nothing showed up in the BaseFeature list. Finally I hit the Ok button of the engrave operation anyway and - surprise - the path was created :) .

I was successful wit a sketch on top level of the tree using this as 2D geometry in the job. Did I do something wrong or is the BaseFeature list currently unused?
Because PD hides its sketches a sketch needs to be at the root to be eligible as a base object (free sketches, PD sketches can't be used). Once it's a base object you can select one edge of the sketch and then use the loop completion tool to select the rest and add them to the Base Geometry list. If the sketch has holes - rinse and repeat.

Note that like with all other base objects the job creates a clone - so you can reposition/rotate the sketch before engraving ...
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

falviani wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:39 pm Hi,

I enabled the experimental feature as suggested, and it creates a feature area outside the job. It seems to just contain a reference to the sketch made from the imported image plane. I cannot get a usable tool path generated from it. How do I generate a tool path? And what is a feature area anyway if it can't be used to generate a tool path?

Sorry about noob questions, but I'm quite new to this.

Frank Alviani
If you post your FC file I can have a look
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

falviani wrote:
Hi Frank,

I have attached an engraving example. This was done by selecting the edges of the logo.

If you have made a sketch of the logo you should be able to pad/pocket the sketch and use the edges for engraving.

I hope this is useful,

Dan
Attachments
EngraveExample.FCStd
(89.16 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
falviani

Post by falviani »

Thanks for the offer! My latest file is attached.

-Frank Alviani
Attachments
EngraveExample.FCStd
(89.16 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

falviani wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:26 pm Thanks for the offer! My latest file is attached.

-Frank Alviani
Hi Frank,

I think you sent me back my own model :D