Point alignment function

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Tilarta

Point alignment function

Post by Tilarta »

To make a complex procedure more simple, where can I find a function to align two specific points of two seperate objects to the exact same space?
See the image below for the task I am attempting to perform:
DBwedge2Point02.png
DBwedge2Point02.png (6.92 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
I am hoping if the 4 points of the wedge align precisely to their designated points on the second shape, I can focus on making the end of the wedge into a moderately sharp point to become an approximation of a triangular point/pyramid.
DBSword02.FCStd
(64.04 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Point alignment function

Post by TheMarkster »

Make a facebinder of that diamond-shaped tip, then extrude the facebinder in Part workbench, 3mm or so. Change the taper angle in the minus direction gradually until you get a point you like.
Snip macro screenshot-bdfab2.png
Snip macro screenshot-bdfab2.png (39.98 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Tilarta

Post by Tilarta »

I am uncertain if the question I asked was understood.

What I wanted to know was if there is a function to take two seperate points of two completely different objects and automatically align them so they occupy the precise same co-ordinates on the object grid:
DBwedge2Point03.png
DBwedge2Point03.png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Once this is done with all 4 base points of the wedge, in theory, it should align exactly with the diamond shape and thus, eliminate the complex procedure of guessing where the points of the diamond exist (the number is incredibly exacting and not on a predictable grid reference).

Then having, achieved this task, I can just move around the opposite four points to get the sharp end I desire.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Tilarta wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 am To make a complex procedure more simple, where can I find a function to align two specific points of two seperate objects to the exact same space?
See the image below for the task I am attempting to perform:
You can have a try at Aligner from Manipulator WB
Tilarta

Post by Tilarta »

I added the Manipulation Workbench.
It's getting closer to the function I need, but isn't quite right:
DBwedge2Point04.png
DBwedge2Point04.png (198.2 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
It moved the entire Wedge instead of the point selected.
When I selected a second point to align, it moved it again.

I'm looking for something that will move the points only without preserving the shape/size of the object being relocated.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In parametric modeling you cannot just move a point from some arbitrary shape. You may have to go back in the construction history and find the state where the shape in question is constructed. There you have to apply the appropriate changes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Tilarta wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 am I added the Manipulation Workbench.
It's getting closer to the function I need, but isn't quite right:
I'll offer another suggestion:

To align the two parts you can try (from the pull-down menu) Edit > Alignment.
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Std_Alignment

From there you can change the size of your Prism to fit onto the blade.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Ah, now I see what you are trying to do. You want to both align and resize all in one go. I don't know of any 3d solids that have that capability in FreeCAD. It might be possible to configure the wedge using the expression engine to take placement coordinates from various Part Vertex objects for the various properties of the wedge object. You could drag the Part Vertex objects around using the transform dragger tool. As an example, the z placement of a Part vertex would be referenced by one of the z properties of the wedge. It would complicated to setup, likely requiring a lot of trial and error, but perhaps doable. It would be best done in a macro so it could reused. As an example of this, see the attached file. In it I have a single Part Point (Vertex) linked to the zmin property of the wedge. Double click the vertex from the tree and drag it up or down in the z direction. When you clock click ok the Wedge zmin property will change to where the point is now located (within reason, as we can't ask FreeCAD to produce the impossible wedge.) This is just a proof of concept. You would need to align other properties of the wedge, for example ymin and xmin to points, too. Aligning these control points to the sword tip could be done with manipulator or even directly from the placement task easily enough. The problem really is this is way more complicated than other ways of doing this would be.
Attachments
wedge_controller.FCStd
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 22 times