How to use position values in expressions?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
BassMati

How to use position values in expressions?

Post by BassMati »

Hi folks,

I would like to define the position of Body2.Placement.Position.z in an expression, such as

Body1.Placement.Position.z + 123

but I cannot figure out (documentation, forum, google) the correct syntax. Interestingly, something like Pad1.Length does work in the formula… I could use a named spreadsheet cell to define the Body1 z position, and use that variable in both Body1 and Body2.Placement.Position.z, but I would rather use the z variable directly. Can someone give a hint?

Thanks in advance
Bass Mati
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to use position values in expressions?

Post by chrisb »

BassMati wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:21 pm
it is Body.Placement.Base.x+123mm.
If you type "Body.Pla" in an expression aware field you see this in the autocompletion list.

Edits in blue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:55 pm it is Body.Placement.Base.x+123.
Correction: Body.Placement.Base.x+123mm.
It will not accept unitless 123.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You are right and I have edited my post above - thanks.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

Thanks! Base was the missing member that carries the coordinates, so Body1.Placement.Base.z returns the desired value.

Autocompletion does not suggest the "base" member bevor the final letter e (on a Windows machine with realthunder's Assembly3 build), that's the reason I was stuck. Unit input was not the problem, I am aware of that.
Thanks a lot!
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

My advice is to explore this in the Python console.
You can use "App.ActiveDocument." then continue with the usual expression. Auto completion is far better in the console. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

BassMati wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:26 pm Autocompletion does not suggest the "base" member bevor the final letter e (on a Windows machine with realthunder's Assembly3 build), that's the reason I was stuck. Unit input was not the problem, I am aware of that.
Thanks a lot!
Could you please retest this with a current 0.19? Here it is never an issue with autocompletion.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17681 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: e94af7ff5e873f263cac51d7d47df68eca183250
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

openBrain wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:52 pm Auto completion is far better in the console. ;)
I'll try that. Seems to be a good idea.
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:36 pm Could you please retest this with a current 0.19? Here it is never an issue with autocompletion.
I'll try to verify that. May take some time, I have to reorganize my model because recompute duration is exploding somewhat.

Currently I'm evaluating Realthunder's Assembly3 build. It's experimental and has a few problems here and there, so I guess/hope autocompletion problems appear only there.
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

@chrisb: Autocomplete works in mainstream 0.19, so it is an Assembly3-related issue. Only "complaint" is, in a formula editor dialog box, I am used to get a complete list of members when I enter an object name, followed by a dot (like "Body001."). In freecad, I need to know at least the first letter of the member name to get a pick list… But I can live with that.