Dogbone dressup not on one corner

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Halfa

Dogbone dressup not on one corner

Post by Halfa »

I am trying to fully face a surface which has one edge against a vertical face. MillFace leaves artefacts in the corners and I thought a Profile with a vertical T-bone dressup may remove the artefacts.
It works perfectly on three corners but I can't get it to work on the bottom left corner.
All four dressup locations are listed and ticked, but unticking the second dressup has no visible effect on the path.
The only dressup which works on all four corners if the basic Dogbone, but this isn't suitable as it cuts into the vertical face.
Tbone_vert_1a.png
Tbone_vert_1a.png (10.6 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17877 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 1e19ef5be4735f4200eaf99ce9e487d2be6f4151
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)

Halfa
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Dogbone dressup not on one corner

Post by mlampert »

I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to do. Maybe have a look at PocketShape and it's Extensions - could be what you're looking for. Otherwise maybe post your file so i can have look.
Halfa

Post by Halfa »

mlampert wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:17 am I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to do. Maybe have a look at PocketShape and it's Extensions - could be what you're looking for. Otherwise maybe post your file so i can have look.
Thanks for replying.

Sorry I forgot to attach the file.

I am trying to learn as much as possible about Path, and I'm looking at how to completely clear a face with a vertical edge on one side.
Contour removes excess stock around the outside, and MillFace avoiding raised objects removes all of the rest except in the corners.
Tbone_vert_2a.png
Tbone_vert_2a.png (21.99 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
I thought that adding a vertical T-bone dressup should fix the problem, and it does exactly what I want in three places but not in the lower left corner.
The location of the missing dogbone is shown and ticked in the list, but it doesn't show in the path.
It is the second one.
Tbone_vert_2b.png
Tbone_vert_2b.png (34.99 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Tbone_vert_2c.png
Tbone_vert_2c.png (24.9 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
While there may be alternative ways of doing what I want, unless I am doing something wrong, it seems to be a problem with the dressup.
The only dogbone dressup which does work on all four corners is the basic dogbone which is unsuitable as it cuts into the vertical face..

I am not working on an actual model, just learning what can and can't be done in Path, and how the various operations and dressups work.

Arthur
PathTest_13b.FCStd
(55.1 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It works here if I use fixed or custom incision:
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-05c6e8.png
Snip macro screenshot-05c6e8.png (9.84 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

... and a recompute of the dogbone fixes it as well

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17798 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7e60631239109c632a8f6cca83f6e7e5502e43a1
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Halfa

Post by Halfa »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 am ... and a recompute of the dogbone fixes it as well

Thanks chrisb. I hadn't thought about a recompute but that fixed it. I'll make a note of that.
Interesting that only the basic Dogbone doesn't need a re-compute.
Also after the re-compute I needed, the others don't need a recompute.

Does this warrant a ticket, and if so, as a bug or a feature request. I see it as a bug, but I lack experience.

Arthur
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Halfa wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 am Does this warrant a ticket
No, I don't think so yet. It works here out of the box. Can you reproduce the lacking recompute?
Halfa

Post by Halfa »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:07 am
Halfa wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 am Does this warrant a ticket
No, I don't think so yet. It works here out of the box. Can you reproduce the lacking recompute?
If I delete the Dogbone dressup and add it again, it always needs a re-compute.

Here is another model I have just drawn using a slot instead of a step, and again it is the same corner that is missing, but this time the re-compute doesn't work.
Tbone_vert_3a.png
Tbone_vert_3a.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 1298 times

One thing I noticed this time is that the re-compute tool is grey before I do a simulate but is blue after I have simulated and still in the simulator. Doing a re-compute hasn't fixed it this time. I tried a re-compute in the simulate mode and also back in the tree, and neither worked.
There is nothing in the tree to show a re-compute is needed.
PathTest_13c.FCStd
(36.26 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can someone with a newer version than mine retest this please.

P.S. Just tested: Recompute solves the last upload as well.
Halfa

Post by Halfa »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 am Can someone with a newer version than mine retest this please.

P.S. Just tested: Recompute solves the last upload as well.
Recompute does not work for me but fixed incision does. Custom incision does not work on this one.