Feature request: Default way for naming derived dimensions.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jruiz

Feature request: Default way for naming derived dimensions.

Post by jruiz »

• Consider a fully constrained sketch.
  • Suppose, for example, the distance D between two points arising in the sketch.
Wouldn't it be nice to name D for using/referencing it later in the project? That is without adding superfluous constrains.
For example in the attached image the needed parameter would be the length of "line (Edge3)"
Attachments
hypo.png
hypo.png (157.07 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
Last edited by jruiz on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Feature request: Name derived dimensions.

Post by DeepSOIC »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jruiz wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm needed parameter would be the length of "line (Edge3)"
Just in case: don't give that name to the (blue) reference constraint if you want to use it in an expression. Use only characters, underscores and numbers; start with a character. Especially: no blanks, no brackets, no point, no colon, no -,+,*,/.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

Excellent!
Thanks a lot.
BTW, it would be very useful to have the option of naming the "blue constrain" when "creating" it.
Last edited by jruiz on Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Should it be marked [Solved] then?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:31 pm Should it be marked [Solved] then?
What do you think about adding the option of naming the "blue constrain" when creating it?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Only if not in the current blocking pop-up style. If on a task panel, +1.
kisolre
Veteran

Re: [Solved]Feature request: Name derived dimensions.

Post by kisolre »

Reference constraints are not always created to be used elsewere. So them having names is not always needed and will be a nuisance if always required. For example I frequently change real to reference dimensions to check possible range of change or other constraint scheme. I dont need names for those.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

I already chipped in this week about this, but since the conversation seems to continue here here's my take on it:

Switching from normal to construction geometry changes nothing of the FreeCAD behaviour except it's now blue. Blue lines are editable normally.

Switching from normal to reference constraint at the moment not only intereferes with auto update with the bogus redundancy conflict (being solved already) but also prevents you from optional naming (if trying to name it,the constraint goes back to real constraint) and from editing (switches to real constraint).

In my opinion this is both counter intuitive and lead me to significant frustration. The obvious bias towards real constraints is offensive and us, reference constraint lovers feel slighted! :)

Currently naming a reference constraint does work by editing it manually in the constraints list, which means functionality is not impaired. But intuitiveness and user friendliness (as well as logic in my opinion) are suffering.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

RatonLaveur wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:39 pm Currently naming a reference constraint does work by editing it manually in the constraints list, which means functionality is not impaired. But intuitiveness and user friendliness (as well as logic in my opinion) are suffering.
I totally agree, it should be improved. The constraint becoming red after OKing the pop-up is totally unintuitive (but useful in some situations).