Feature request: Default way for naming derived dimensions.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Solved]Feature request: Name derived dimensions.

Post by chrisb »

There are quite some votes for a change. There is also a big argument for leaving it as is: Abdullah favors it. Abdullah, can you elaborate why you like it the way it is?
Abdullah wrote:ping
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

kisolre wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:21 pm ... and will be a nuisance if always required....
The idea is not that these reference constrains have to be named but to have the option of naming them the same way as "regular" constrains do
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The dimension edit dialog could ave another button to toogle between reference and standard mode:

Normal dimensions would have the standard buttons Cancel/Ok plus "Convert to reference mode" which would convert,confirm, and close.
Reference dimensions would have equivalent buttons Cancel/Ok plus "Convert to standard dimension" which would convert,confirm, and close.

Converting from reference to normal would be as easy as it is now, i.e. one click away
The other way would be even more comfortable for converting single dimensions, currently it's more movement with the mouse.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Actually i was thinking simpler, if reference mode is toggled or if the constraint is already blue, the menu behaves the same way as normal constraints except in reference the constraint and the name end up being blue.

Maybe the menu (pop up) can be specified with "(reference)" to differentiate it and remind the user that you're creating a reference only, but since the user already went through the trouble of either toggling the mode or double clicking on the existing blue ref, I don't see why another switch is needed once editing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

RatonLaveur wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:32 am Actually i was thinking simpler, if reference mode is toggled or if the constraint is already blue, the menu behaves the same way as normal constraints except in reference the constraint and the name end up being blue.
And that's exactly the behaviour which Abdullah does not favor. I faintly remember that his workflow is to start with reference constraints, move things around until they almost fit and then to have a fast way to make them exact and switch them to real dimensions at the same time. As that is a sensible workflow as well, I was thinking about getting both worlds together.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

If that's the intended workflow so be it. At least we agree that some streamlining/simplification could be of use. When i try to name a constraint in reference mode the "stubborness" of automatic switching to real AND preventing the name is what i think can be improved upon.
That being said i actually think Abdullah's workflow is a good idea. Although recent improvements on auto constraint, auto update and auto remove redundant (and the options to disable autos) made operating in real constraints a breeze.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I may add to the discussion that there is a ticket for an issue which should be corrected: Double click on a reference constraint changes the type already to "normal". Cancelling the operation does not set it back to reference.
C_h_o_p_i_n

Post by C_h_o_p_i_n »

Hi,

Just as an idea to take into account - i think things looking the same should behave the same (way).

Looks like a bird ( or girl or ... ) ... should behave like a bird ( or girl or ... ) similarities make things more easy to deal with.

Due to this i would prefer a idetical Method for adding/naming constraints using an additional kind of ok buttuon to makt constraint "driving" like chris already suggested.

Regards,
Stefan
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:26 pm The dimension edit dialog could ave another button to toogle between reference and standard mode:

Normal dimensions would have the standard buttons Cancel/Ok plus "Convert to reference mode" which would convert,confirm, and close.
Reference dimensions would have equivalent buttons Cancel/Ok plus "Convert to standard dimension" which would convert,confirm, and close.

Converting from reference to normal would be as easy as it is now, i.e. one click away
The other way would be even more comfortable for converting single dimensions, currently it's more movement with the mouse.
+1 to this
also, shouldn't the [SOLVED] part of the title be removed?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:13 am also, shouldn't the [SOLVED] part of the title be removed?
The feature request is indeed solved, but other things aren't. Perhaps change the subject to something like "Naming of reference dimensions".