Starting parts

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rockn
Veteran

Re: Starting parts

Post by rockn »

yorikvanhavre wrote:
rockn wrote:Yes wood-galaxy is my github username. Please authorized me ;)
Okay, that's done. I removed user Rockn... The guy must have wondered what I wanted :)
Thank you, I have push my first part !
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Shoogen and Yorik is right! We have to start and see how its develop.

But - don't forget to assign CC licenses (preferable CC-BY) , or we have a big problem in the future and have to throw out all the stuff we have no license fore....
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jriegel wrote:But - don't forget to assign CC licenses (preferable CC-BY) , or we have a big problem in the future and have to throw out all the stuff we have no license fore....
Aah very well remembered. I'll add a license declaration on the repo. Rockn, since you already have a part there, your part is now officially CC-licensed, ok?
bajsi

Post by bajsi »

This discussion escalated far beyond what I initially imagined.

Building a repository of models that can be easily shared is a good thing, but i still think that having 5..10 raw parametric parts that are commonly used in engineering and are easily accessible through menu, makes work a lot easier than just having a few primitives.

So, I will make a macro with a simple dialog and a few options to create raw parts - like in my first post. Probably, it is best to generate the parts and appropriate sketches by code instead of just loading previously modeled parts - would you agree?

If this turns out to be useful - it can later be easily implemented as a standard feature.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

yorikvanhavre wrote:
jriegel wrote:But - don't forget to assign CC licenses (preferable CC-BY) , or we have a big problem in the future and have to throw out all the stuff we have no license fore....
Aah very well remembered. I'll add a license declaration on the repo. Rockn, since you already have a part there, your part is now officially CC-licensed, ok?
Yes, of course, I'm agree with that.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

bajsi wrote:Probably, it is best to generate the parts and appropriate sketches by code instead of just loading previously modeled parts - would you agree?
As far as i remember the python interface to the constraints is not complete yet.
There are to sub-projects you might want to keep in mind.
1. There are feature requests to 'name' certain (esp. numerical) constraints.
2. When the resource framework will be fully functional, the part libraries can likely be viewed in FreeCAD (like a panel, or the task view)
IMHO creating sketches from python is ugly, because you have to give coordinates in the first place to create lines and arcs. And later keep track of the two geometry indexes.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

also remember that sharing python code in macros is not safe. Everything can be in such a macro, even code that emptys you harddrive. Thats the reason no python code is used in the freecad files and why it's a bad idea to build a repository upon macros.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I agree with ickby and shoogen, but:
- even with incomplete sketcher, creating objects from python is interesting for several reasons, one of the best one being to show other people how it works, and after all scripts can be bettered later, once the sketcher gains more tools
- the dangerousness of python scripts can be much minimized (nullified) if they are on a "trusted" repository (such as my github account? 8-) )
so I would say why not? In any case, I find it interesting to host Parts in several forms, modeled objects and scripted ones... If this grows to something cool, we can see about next steps (how to integrate all that in FreeCAD)
bajsi

Post by bajsi »

Hi,

attached is a package of macros for initial parametric parts: profiles L and U, round and rectangular tube, and round bar (which is basically equal to cylinder primitive).

Please, test it a little and let me know what you think.
Attachments
initParts_v000.zip
(16.7 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

One thing that comes to mind: Will we have separate templates for Part and PartDesign workbenches? Since one will be sketchbased and the other won't ...