Recreating a Libre/Open Source Otoscope in FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
UR_
Veteran

Re: Recreating a Libre/Open Source Otoscope in FreeCAD

Post by UR_ »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:41 am So maybe the regression occurred between June last year and now.
:shock:
That's a major fault.
I've tested some of my older files and got tons of broken ones :o
Usually I saved font files in the same folder as FCStd file accessing with
./mysamplefont.ttf
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

So did I. It was easy to bundle the model with the font file.

Shall I open a new ticket? Or is bringing relative paths back a poor man's solution for issue #3254, so I should add it there?
wmayer wrote:ping
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

openBrain wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:59 am In case it may be helpful to somebody, here how I "check" my FreeCAD models once done :
This should go as a tutorial somewhere :) Probably under Inspection WB wiki page to give usage example?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:28 am Shall I open a new ticket? Or is bringing relative paths back a poor man's solution for issue #3254, so I should add it there?
Relative paths should work. How will assemblies be organized?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The new Link objects respect relative paths to subfolders but not to the current directory :o .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:02 am The new Link objects respect relative paths to subfolders but not to the current directory :o .
What about splitting the relative path story in another thread? So discussion can go on without hijacking OP. ;)
tarek

Post by tarek »

TheMarkster wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:30 pm The maintainers at github in charge of the project are the ones who changed it to a relative path. I had it in e:\downloads\fonts when I made the model.
This is correct. I did not know I was walking us all into a shitstorm when I did this. I tested in GNU/Linux using the snap release and it worked, so I shipped. I'll add a note to the README with a link to the bug.
Kunda1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:04 pm This is all related to: issue #3254
Wrong paths to fonts occur when you exchange models between different systems. An 'Embed' option would be useful
Thanks.
openBrain wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 am What about splitting the relative path story in another thread? So discussion can go on without hijacking OP. ;)
Agreed. Let's close this discussion with the following conclusion: We'll keep relative paths as they will likely work in future and non-relative paths will be broken for everybody but the original designer anyway.

tarek : )
tarek

Post by tarek »

openBrain wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:59 am In case it may be helpful to somebody, here how I "check" my FreeCAD models once done :
  1. Open the .OBJ file of the original object as alias mesh and go to Part WB
  2. Convert it to shape with Part -> Create shape from mesh
  3. Convert shape to solid with Part -> Convert to solid
  4. Refine the solid with Part -> Create a copy -> Refine shape
  5. Align the refined solid with the FreeCAD model using the Aligner tools of the Manipulator WB
  6. Use Inspection WB / Inspection -> Visual inspection. Select as "actual" the FreeCAD model and as "nominal" the refined solid. You can change the search range later in the property editor, starting with 100 or 200 µm is generally good.
Amazing. Thanks for this, openBrain.

tarek : )
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:28 am So did I. It was easy to bundle the model with the font file.

Shall I open a new ticket? Or is bringing relative paths back a poor man's solution for issue #3254, so I should add it there?
wmayer wrote:ping
When using relative paths then the absolute path can be obtained with the application's "current working directory" + "relative path". Usually the current working directory is not set to the path where a project file resides so that the computed absolute path points to a non-existing file.

And how do you even use relative paths? This can only happen when you manually type in the path into the edit field while when using the browse button always an absolute path is returned.
UR_
Veteran

Post by UR_ »

wmayer wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:54 am And how do you even use relative paths? This can only happen when you manually type in the path into the edit field while when using the browse button always an absolute path is returned.
This kind of reediting manually is necessary if you try to move your FCStd file and corresponding stuff like tff files, which are refereed by your FCStd but are not included, to your team mate on a separate machine.