FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AR795

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by AR795 »

I have a small proposal for the download links. I believe that the download section for each platform can be simplified if individual buttons are replaced with a dropdown menu for the download links, something like this: https://sharazali.github.io/FreeCAD-Hom ... loads.html. What do you guys think?

@Kunda1
center the dropdown window
Well according to the bootstrap docs, the only options are left or right align. There are solutions on stackoverflow, but it involves some workarounds.

center the within the window
I used left align to keep it consistent with other dropdown menus on the webpage, though that can be changed if needed.

use a thicker font for the dropdown text
I have increased the font size, hopefully it is more readable now.

I was also thinking for convenience for the user that we could list the actual checksum in the dropdown instead of a link so they don't have to download it and open it to see.
The checksum string is now within the dropdown menu.
kunda

Post by kunda »

AR795 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 am I have a small proposal for the download links. I believe that the download section for each platform can be simplified if individual buttons are replaced with a dropdown menu for the download links, something like this: https://sharazali.github.io/FreeCAD-Hom ... loads.html. What do you guys think?
Yes, this is better. Nice adjustment.
AR795 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 am Well according to the bootstrap docs, the only options are left or right align. There are solutions on stackoverflow, but it involves some workarounds.
Ok. No worries
AR795 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 am I have increased the font size, hopefully it is more readable now.
Yes, it's better. Thanks.
AR795 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 am The checksum string is now within the dropdown menu.
This doesn't look right to me. It looks like you used one checksum as a placeholder for them all which is fine for demo purposes but this looks incorrect.
The checksum should be a connected string, for example::
98f2fdfe9a2f9a733aec2d8550f51b06d3ca3727e5db6a8808c227bb39ab1ef8
The source of the spaced checksum is the Windows SHA file. Was it created correctly?
I don't use Windows so...here's what is says:

Code: Select all

SHA256 hash of file FreeCAD-0.18.16131.3129ae4-WIN-x64-installer.exe:
c5 21 b8 ca 5d d9 ed 28 7b c3 af be 57 aa 39 f4 de a4 ca 89 e1 3f b5 8c 32 58 d3
 79 2f 86 d4 8f
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.
Just an FYI, that the SHA should be ideally on 1 line so we may need to tweek the size of the font down just for the checksums and increase the container width of the dropdown itself to accomodate.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I removed the spacing between letters in the checksum.
kunda

Post by kunda »

AR795 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:40 pm I removed the spacing between letters in the checksum.
Thanks, though we need to fix the output of whatever it is that is generating that SHA for windows. I think @sgrogan is in charge of that...

re: positioning
I tinkered with the dropdown...what do you think of this:
The font is small but it's looks like a checksum. I think it would be nice to add a simple function that with a push of a button the checksum can be saved to the users clipboard as shown in https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_j ... pboard.asp
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that the checksum for AppImage/DMG files still changes on a daily basis.

P.S. As for the rest, best to leave the review/feedback to the ones suggesting the changes. In general i like the changes proposed by @AR795, usually being well thought out and in addition, whenever needed, do represent a good compromise.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:26 pm Note that the checksum for AppImage/DMG files still changes on a daily basis.
In regards to 0.19_pre, that is true. But for 0.18.x the checksum only changes when a backport or new minor release is made.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
AR795

Post by AR795 »

kunda wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:53 pm re: positioning
I tinkered with the dropdown...what do you think of this:
Well I can see two issues regarding the checksum:
- By reducing the font size, it can hurt usability, and might not end up being a good user experience.
- As for keeping the string in one line, it could be difficult, as the webpage has to adjust to different devices such as smartphones.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:32 pm In regards to 0.19_pre, that is true. But for 0.18.x the checksum only changes when a backport or new minor release is made.
Well, we are talking about checksum, therefore you can easily check sum. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:29 pm [Well, we are talking about checksum, therefore you can easily check sum. ;)
:D
AR795 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:17 pm Well I can see two issues regarding the checksum:
- By reducing the font size, it can hurt usability, and might not end up being a good user experience.
- As for keeping the string in one line, it could be difficult, as the webpage has to adjust to different devices such as smartphones.
Yea, makes sense. Can we throw the link to the each checksum in there as well? Just in case we have paranoid people who are concerned about security ?

I threw in the blender page snap because I like how they utilized the color scheme of the containers. I like what we have, it's pragmatic and practical. I do like a little flair, maybe at some point in the future.
Attachments
Blender_checksum.png
Blender_checksum.png (247.75 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Another thing to consider, maybe we can display a donation button somewhere after a user clicks the download button?
Sometimes making it easier for people to access a donation link when they are downloading FOSS (synfig, blender, inkscape ..do this)
yorik wrote:
kkremitzki wrote: