Inner thread not exporting

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LukasAV

Inner thread not exporting

Post by LukasAV »

Hi,
I am having a project that requires an inner thread. Making the thread using a sketch and a helix and subtractively sweeping it worked fine. However this last step on the part is not exported (I tried .obj and .stl), but I cannot see any error that would explain why it is not exported.
Creating the thread separately and using a boolean cut from the Part workbench did not work either.
Also is there a log file from FreeCAD? FreeCAD is a great program, but it is really frustrating if steps do not work and you cannot even see the reason why.
Thank you for your help.
Attachments
bottom-demo.obj
(326.19 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
bottom-demo.FCStd
(746.86 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Inner thread not exporting

Post by kisolre »

Moving the cut profile 0.05mm in makes the vertex of the triangle not lay on the inner cylindrical surface and groove succeeds (and export should also):
Attachments
ThreadSuccess.JPG
ThreadSuccess.JPG (50.24 KiB) Viewed 796 times
LukasAV

Post by LukasAV »

Thank you very much for your help. This indeed worked, the export displayed correctly in Blender and the Cura prepare tab. However after slicing, Cura wants to print the thread area as a complete block. This might be a Cura issue but could also be a hint that the exported file still is not quite right. Find the Cura topic about this issue here:
https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/2 ... -as-block/

Also, how do you get this sliced view as visible in your image?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

LukasAV wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 pm Also, how do you get this sliced view as visible in your image?
It is not sliced. Just the body with a lot of transparency. RMB-> Appearance.
You can get clipped view while editing a sketch with Sketcher_ViewSection
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

LukasAV wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 pmHowever after slicing, Cura wants to print the thread area as a complete block.
I can confirm. You should recompute the whole document. This reveals an error in the attachment of Sketch013. Fix it, recompute again and try again. I made some lame attempts but don't know where to attach the sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
LukasAV

Post by LukasAV »

Thanks I will do this then.
Sketch013 should be attached to the little tab like Sketch012 and Sketch011 to the other two are.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you have repaired your model and still don't succeed, then ask back with an upload of the new model.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.