Help needed for cutting from a solid based on an STL

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Paula_Gor

Help needed for cutting from a solid based on an STL

Post by Paula_Gor »

Sorry for the newbie question; I've gone through the FAQs and tutorials and watched several videos on YouTube, and nothing seems to solve what I'm trying to do. It's probably something simple and stupid, I'm new to this.
It's a .stl file, I've created a solid out of and I want to cut a small piece off of it.
When I try to cut the shell it works but then I have a hole in my shell (duh) and can't make a decent solid out of it.

When I cut it only leaves the part I wanted cut.
Any advice is appreciated!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Can't use boolean operation on subtractive loft

Post by kisolre »

Paula_Gor wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:29 am Sorry for the newbie question; I've gone through the FAQs and tutorials and watched several videos on YouTube, and nothing seems to solve what I'm trying to do. It's probably something simple and stupid, I'm new to this.
It's a .stl file, I've created a solid out of and I want to cut a small piece off of it.
When I try to cut the shell it works but then I have a hole in my shell (duh) and can't make a decent solid out of it.

Please stay on topic. If you have an issue better create a new thread and don't hijack unrelated one.
For your question: you import the stl mesh, use Part create shell, then from that shell use Part create solid and then modify that solid.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Help needed for cutting from a solid based on an STL

Post by chrisb »

Paula_Gor wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:29 am It's a .stl file, I've created a solid out of and I want to cut a small piece off of it.
I have split this topic and renamed it. Feel free to edit your post and give it a suitable subject title.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: Help needed for cutting from a solid based on an STL

Post by HarryGeier »

Paula_Gor wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:29 am Sorry for the newbie question; I've gone through the FAQs and tutorials and watched several videos on YouTube, and nothing seems to solve what I'm trying to do. It's probably something simple and stupid, I'm new to this.

Did you first convert the STL into a solid ?Not just a shell ??

There may be 2 steps you miss

If not, watch my tutorials about such stl-fc-stl workflows
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/