Feature Request: PartDesign Pocket, add intersect option in addition to subtract

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
townkat

Re: Feature Request: PartDesign Pocket, add intersect option in addition to subtract

Post by townkat »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:22 am doesn't work anymore if you have already nested geometry:
I tried your example and it showed the multiple solids error. I think nested geometry in pocket always results in multiple solids. It must first work as pocket to be able to use the rectangle trick I think.

openBrain wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:13 am Just want to remember that for robustness purpose, you can bind the dimensions of the outer rectangle with latest Pad shape,
Pad063.Shape.BoundBox.XLength
another useful info, thank you :)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Feature Request: PartDesign Pocket, add intersect option in addition to subtract

Post by chrisb »

townkat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:56 pm
chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:22 am doesn't work anymore if you have already nested geometry:
I tried your example and it showed the multiple solids error. I think nested geometry in pocket always results in multiple solids. It must first work as pocket to be able to use the rectangle trick I think.
That's not the cause. If you limit the depth so that it does not go through all, then the pocket works while it doesn't with an additional outer rectangle.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-15 um 10.12.49.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-15 um 10.12.49.png (19.07 KiB) Viewed 637 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

townkat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:56 pm I tried your example and it showed the multiple solids error. I think nested geometry in pocket always results in multiple solids.
If I understood correctly it was more of an example where inverse pocket/common could be used. Leave everything betwhhen the circles and remove everytning else. and in that case just adding extra big rectangle will not work because this gives 3 contours and what is inside and what outside is not determined properly.
townkat

Post by townkat »

kisolre wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:44 am and in that case just adding extra big rectangle will not work because this gives 3 contours and what is inside and what outside is not determined properly.
chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:22 am If you limit the depth so that it does not go through all, then the pocket works while it doesn't with an additional outer rectangle.
Thnx, i could reproduce it now, so it seems like a bug in pocket function. This will probably be fixed sometime, but i will still want our PartDesign common function :).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

townkat wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 am Thnx, i could reproduce it now, so it seems like a bug in pocket function. This will probably be fixed sometime, but i will still want our PartDesign common function :).
PartDesign common is a sensible extension as ickby pointed out in the topic linked above. Check the tracker if a corresponding feature request exists, and if not you may create one and crossreference it to this and the old topic.

The restriction to one single solid only seems like bug, but isn't. That's how a PartDesign body is specified.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:03 am The restriction to one single solid only seems like bug, but isn't. That's how a PartDesign body is specified.
Realthunder has eliminated the one solid rule in his branch. Hopefully we'll see that soon in Master, as well as the topo-naming improvements.
townkat

Post by townkat »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:03 am The restriction to one single solid only seems like bug, but isn't. That's how a PartDesign body is specified.
Even with 3 nested shapes (like our example, rectangle included) it still remains a single solid, even more if pocket is not 100% depth, that's why I said it is a bug. It should start from outside and count object, empty, object, empty and so on trough the nested shapes to the center, but it only works up to 2 levels. Maybe not a bug, but a limitation of pocket tool, and maybe it will be improved in the future.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It is indeed a (known) limitation, not a bug.
townkat

Post by townkat »

"Add PartDesign Common operations" feature request created.
https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=4135