The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by wandererfan »

felixlee868 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:10 am Right now, I need TechDraw can display "hide line" on perspective view and orthography view. I don't know why my part can not display hide lines ( After I setup use dot line display for TechDraw configuration
Display of hidden lines is controlled by the "HLR Parameters" of the View:
HiddenLineProperties.png
HiddenLineProperties.png (184.92 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
By the way. if I want add some function for the project, What books I need read? ( expect C++ and Python3 ? )
TechDraw is written in C++ but some functions are available in Python. You'll also need to know Qt, especially QtGraphicsScene.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

There is an effort to develop a FC developer guide at https://github.com/qingfengxia/FreeCAD_Mod_Dev_Guide
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
felixlee868

Post by felixlee868 »

Thanks for wandererfan. I am rookie for FreeCAD. I just learning engineering Drawing knowleage. Lots knack about FreeCAD need to try.

Thanks FreeCAD proejct. I love it.
reox

Post by reox »

I think it is not worth it to create a own thread for this question:
Can you set the default font size for annotations? I have set the default font size to be 3.5mm, but if I create an annotation, the font size is always 8mm.
Or is there something in the Customize section to set?

There seems to be also a small bug, that the area for the annotation is not large enough to fully fit text which goes below the base line:
2019-09-16-111258_354x242_scrot.png
2019-09-16-111258_354x242_scrot.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
This only happens if there are characters like gpqy etc in the last line. A quick fix is to add a blank line at the end.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

reox wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 am Can you set the default font size for annotations? I have set the default font size to be 3.5mm, but if I create an annotation, the font size is always 8mm.

There seems to be also a small bug, that the area for the annotation is not large enough to fully fit text which goes below the base line:
The default size in Annotation is hard-coded to 8mm. I'll change it to use the default parameter.

It seems the LineSpace parameter doesn't apply to the last line of text. So even if you set it to 120%, the descenders get cropped. Your quick fix is probably the best choice. I'll see about adding a blank line automatically.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

reox wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 am Can you set the default font size for annotations? I have set the default font size to be 3.5mm, but if I create an annotation, the font size is always 8mm.

Should be fixed by git commit f76e74d2c1.

Annotation defaults to LabelSize preference and adds a blank line at the end automatically to allow room for descenders.
reox

Post by reox »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:41 am Should be fixed by git commit f76e74d2c1.
Very nice! Thank you very much!
Tandini

Post by Tandini »

Hi, have a problem with Detail View:

DetailView01.png
DetailView01.png (286.29 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Is there any chance to get rid of (or minimize) that huge white frame covering necessary parts of the drawing?
(Also in the exported PDF)
When I reduce the Radius < 300, I manage to place the Detail View that it doesn't cover the drawing frame, but the viewing area gets too small ...
Is it possible to set the visibility of the circle / square frame true or false?
Furthermore it would be very nice to define a rectangular viewbox with Width and Height properties.

btw: After switching from Drawing Dimensioning workspace to TechDraw I want to express my appreciation for the effort you're pushing into TechDraw!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18778 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: f55cf3ef103532c9718c108bd856a4ef06ad49a5
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Tandini wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:05 pm Is there any chance to get rid of (or minimize) that huge white frame covering necessary parts of the drawing?
In the current implementation, I need a bit of a solid border to prevent "bleed through" of the perimeter of the detail cut. I might be able to shrink it a bit, but I can't make it go away. In a future version I could use some sort of clipping to trim the edges instead.
Is it possible to set the visibility of the circle / square frame true or false?
Not now. Would be fairly easy to add a property to control that.
Furthermore it would be very nice to define a rectangular viewbox with Width and Height properties.
Never thought of that one. I'm used to seeing circles (and rarely squares), but not rectangles. Is that common practice?
btw: After switching from Drawing Dimensioning workspace to TechDraw I want to express my appreciation for the effort you're pushing into TechDraw!
Thank you. That's nice to hear.
Tandini

Post by Tandini »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:20 pm
Tandini wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:05 pm
Never thought of that one. I'm used to seeing circles (and rarely squares), but not rectangles. Is that common practice?
I don't think so. Circle is common practice.

In this special case I set up the complete assembly in a way to extract a step-by-step assembly instruction - each step on a single TechDraw page.
With a rectangular viewbox one could fully use the drawing area ...

Another thougt: Is it possible to control the z-order of the TechDraw parts? Let's say to move the template topmost?
(Of course I can do this by editing the exported PDF-file with inkscape for examle)

The complete assembly (ventilation of the housing of a traffic information sign):

Gesamt.png
Gesamt.png (47.97 KiB) Viewed 1957 times