Ticket #4083: A bug in the Coin3D library causing app to crash on RPi4

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Ticket #4083: A bug in the Coin3D library causing app to crash on RPi4

Post by Kunda1 »

issue #4083: A bug in the Coin3D library causing app to crash on RPi4
Error:

Code: Select all

Coin warning in cc_glglue_instance(): Error when setting up the GL context. This can happen if there is no current context, or if the context has been set up incorrectly.
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0 /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6(__default_sa_restorer+0)
Relevant thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 58#p318973
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4083: A bug in the Coin3D library causing app to crash on RPi4

Post by Kunda1 »

Looks like a bug was opened on Debian for the same reason: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=931458

Other relevant threads:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=244151 (FreeCAD on PI4 and Raspbian Buster)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=244757 (Bugreport: Where?)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I tested this behavior inside a Debian 10 VM running the arm64 architecture, and wasn't able to reproduce it. (Using virt-manager/libvirt plus qemu-system-arm)
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:32 pm I tested this behavior inside a Debian 10 VM running the arm64 architecture, and wasn't able to reproduce it. (Using virt-manager/libvirt plus qemu-system-arm)
If I'm not mistaken, the Raspbian distribution used in Raspberry Pi is "armhf" (32-bit), not "arm64".
Last edited by vocx on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Ah, oops, I thought they had updated already.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Muniac

Post by Muniac »

Hi - I just completed a FreeCAD 0.19 build from source to attempt to run it on the pi4 Buster. No luck. Program starts but crashes when File-New is selected. Message below:

Coin warning in cc_glglue_instance(): Error when setting up the GL context. This can happen if there is no current context, or if the context has been set up incorrectly.
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0 /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6(__default_sa_restorer+0) [0xb1979120]

Same as what others are getting. I was hoping FreeCAD can run on the pi4. PrusaSlicer runs fine and FreeCAD would make a nice companion for the modeling. I do have a FreeCAD version running on the pi4 using the old default build. Just wondering if any progress has been made on correcting this problem for the new build. I'd be more than happy to do pi4 testing and building to help the cause along. Many thanks for the efforts.
Best - Scott :D
An analog man in a digital world.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Muniac wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:24 pm Hi - I just completed a FreeCAD 0.19 build from source to attempt to run it on the pi4 Buster. No luck. Program starts but crashes when File-New is selected. Message below:
You can compile and run FreeCAD 0.19 in the Raspberry Pi 4, but it seems you have to use Py2 and Qt4, instead of Py3 and Qt5.

FreeCAD and Raspberry Pi 4
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Muniac

Post by Muniac »

Yes you are correct. I've done that with success. I like to keep software current when possible. It's that notion that led me to try a build with Python3 and QT5. Something else with the new build regarding the screen bordering.

You'll notice it's cutoff slightly at the top. And right top. Would be really nice to get this new build running. Many thanks.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Muniac wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:09 pm I like to keep software current when possible. It's that notion that led me to try a build with Python3 and QT5.
Unfortunately, the situation is a bit tricky, as basically FreeCAD has already dropped support for Python 2 and Qt4. Most developers don't thoroughly test their software with these versions. Probably 0.19 will be the last version to support Py2/Qt4.

Maybe the problem is not with FreeCAD itself but rather with Coin and Qt5, so this has to be investigated by those developers together with Raspberry Pi maintainers.
Muniac

Post by Muniac »

Thanks. FreeCAD is a nice modeling application. I have a Prusa 3D printer and FreeCAD is a perfect companion to their Slicer. The FreeCAD appimage runs on my Mint 19.1 system (old Dell Inspiron 1501). I'm just getting ready to build up a new workstation which is long overdue. Would like to keep that in the Linux family. Just not a big fan of Windows and the direction(s) its heading. The pi4 shows some promise if the glitches can be worked out. Which I know aren't easy or quick fixes. Tons of hobbyists out there could use the pi4 for tinkering and serious projects.

I did put a post out on the Raspberry pi forum about this. Perhaps something good can come of that. They know best all the details of that architecture. Lots of those boards out there so a fix of something broken makes a lot of folks happy. :P