[ Fixed ] [ Ticket #4144 ] Sketcher: Point-point-point symmetry: order of points?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

[ Fixed ] [ Ticket #4144 ] Sketcher: Point-point-point symmetry: order of points?

Post by Roy_043 »

If I click the tool first the required order is:
PtA-Center-PtB
If I click the tool last the required order is:
PtA-PtB-Center

Why is the point order different?
Last edited by Roy_043 on Tue May 26, 2020 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Sketcher: Point-point-point symmetry: order of points?

Post by openBrain »

I can't tell you why, but it is known and has been discussed in the past. However I'm not sure any further decision/action has been taken, thus great you reopen that topic. :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

openBrain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:39 pm ... but it is known and has been discussed in the past.
Dammit! This is what I hate about FreeCAD, people "know" things, but don't document them anywhere, Sketcher ConstrainSymmetric.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:13 pm issue #4144.
Great but could be good to poll community for the preferred order. ;)
For me, I prefer in "topological order", thus with the point of symmetry as 2nd click. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This order may be more convenient (and it is already available for creating symmetry with a line in the middle).
But I vote for the more systematic order where the symmetry point is selected last.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

openBrain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 pm Great but could be good to poll community for the preferred order.
For me, I prefer in "topological order", thus with the point of symmetry as 2nd click.
I would also prefer the "topological order", as mouse movements are shorter, thus faster.

If there is no consensus, a preference-controlled order can be a way to go. Then we'll have the same discussion on what order should be default. :P
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DeepSOIC wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 pm If there is no consensus, a preference-controlled order can be a way to go. Then we'll have the same discussion on what order should be default. :P
No parameter on my behalf, I can live with either decision. I don't even need a majority. It shalll be what Abdullah decides.
rogermhsu

Re: [ Ticket #4144 ] Sketcher: Point-point-point symmetry: order of points?

Post by rogermhsu »

In either scenario (selecting the tool first or the geometry first), the resulting input to the software is the same (two points and a line). The most user-friendly approach would be to have the order not matter - the user selects the geometry in any order and the software intelligently sorts things out. Even if you prefer one order over another, you'd get what you want with this approach. Win, win, win. :)
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: [ Ticket #4144 ] Sketcher: Point-point-point symmetry: order of points?

Post by Roy_043 »

rogermhsu wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:46 am two points and a line
No. The topic is about point-point-point symmetry. But there has been another discussion and even a vote about PPP symmetry.
Found it:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45257
Last edited by Roy_043 on Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.