Fasteners Workbench thread and head scaling

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Fasteners Workbench thread and head scaling

Post by chrisb »

Great extension! BTW: what printer and what material did you use?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shaise

Post by shaise »

PLA on original Prusa i3 MK3
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks. Threads make a good printer test.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

This is great! Thank you so much.

I finally found some time to overhaul my entire software setup to match my i3 MK3 (boxing the latest versions of FreeCAD and Slic3r-PE into docker containers, upgrading OctoPi ...). This just worked out of the box on first try.

Thanks again,
Jan
buchvi

Post by buchvi »

Hi, thanks for this, it helps a lot not having to think about scaling the bolt in slicer.

But what if I need to print a larger part with screwhole, not just the nut? If I just boolean-cut the hole with the screw, the hole will be too tight when printed. Would it be possible to add function like "boolean cut" that would use scaling options from the Fasteners workbench settings?
shaise

Post by shaise »

There is a special "threaded rod" used to boolean cut threads in holes. It should be scaled with the same settings so that the cut holes are as wide as nut threads. But I need to double check if this is the case, If not, I'll fix it.

shai
buchvi

Post by buchvi »

I see. But the boolean-cut hole will be the same if I use for example M8 screw and/or this rod set to M8, right? But If I design nut with 3D printing settings on, the hole in the nut is a bit smaller, according to settings. So while the nut screws on the screw correctly (and they do, thank you very much!), for the boolean-cut hole in some other object this wouldn't be the case, the hole would be too tight. Do I understand it right?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Look at the settings of fasteners, you have two settings for inner and outer threads. If you want to cut a thread yourself you first have to create a tool with the counterpart.
Frank Sonne

Post by Frank Sonne »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:44 pm Look at the settings of fasteners, you have two settings for inner and outer threads. If you want to cut a thread yourself you first have to create a tool with the counterpart.
Where do i find out how to do a tool with a counterpart? I have this exact problem, i've wasted 2 parts printed twice, with absolutely no difference, with different scale. No fun when parts are in M42, and time consuming, 12h wasted on every try, would really like to get it right on my next print.

A setting on the ScrewTap for Boolean-Cut "True/False" would have been nice though.

Regards
Frank
shaise

Post by shaise »

Frank Sonne wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:23 pm Where do i find out how to do a tool with a counterpart?
Frank
If you want to make a tapped hole, use the hole tap tool:
ScrewTap.png
ScrewTap.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
This might look like a screw, but actually its a "reversed screw" that is specially designed to make tapped holes into solids. When using the 3D printed mode, this "screw tap" is getting wider, creating the necessary space tolerance similar to nuts. It can have arbitrary length.

shai