Redesign the UI and UX

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
usbhub

Re: Redesign the UI and UX

Post by usbhub »

And I forgot: CuboCore looks very well!!!
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

And forgot another thing: @AR795 is a very well designer, maybe he would support you (but I don't know, only because I was very impressed by his FreeCAD logo designs)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm And I think i can improve the UX and UI to be more friendly and easy for the new learner.
BTW, please don't forget expert users. They often want something that may require learning, but is very efficient in the end. Take Vim for example. It's user-friendliness is a marvel of a failure (they managed to make just a text editor so that a beginner (me :oops: ) CANT use it without googling how-to for just about everything, from plain typing to selecting text to closing the editor). Yet, pros love it. So, reaching a balance is difficult.

usbhub wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:55 pm And I forgot: CuboCore looks very well!!!
+1, seems like a good excuse to try Linux, as I am a fan of touchscreen, and Linux was never touchscreen-friendly.
BTW, how do you solve the hell of touch support that Qt5 is? I've cursed everything while programming gesture support in 3d view for freecad, and it is still buggy.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

hmm.. i wonder if there is a happy medium by having a less overwhelming UI with several toolbars with gray'ed out tools and just displaying a lean UI with not many at all...
For example, what if we had a feature to auto-hide the toolbars? They only get displayed when we mouse over to them ?
Sort of how OSX does it with the dock
phpBB [video]

Another idea is to develop @triplus's PieMenu addon further to create an overlay menu that disappears after you're done using it.
PieMenu(2): https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29108
PieMenu Clone: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37961
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

usbhub wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:54 pm Just so I'm sure I got it right:
Do you want to change to default layout (moving toolbars, etc.) or do you want a complete redesign, to example with tabs instead of the workbench combobox?
whole redesign with UX improvements.
I will just creat the Ui in qt creator the rest linking to it needs another dev. Because it will be faster that way.
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

rahmanshaber wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:13 am
usbhub wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:54 pm Just so I'm sure I got it right:
Do you want to change to default layout (moving toolbars, etc.) or do you want a complete redesign, to example with tabs instead of the workbench combobox?
whole redesign with UX improvements.
I will just creat the Ui in qt creator the rest linking to it needs another dev. Because it will be faster that way.
I think it would be very important to create the new layout in close cooperation with the users. Both with the power users and with the beginners.

Maybe we could collect a few ideas for the beginning. An important point for me would be tabs instead of the workbench dropdown list.

usbhub
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

usbhub wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:02 pm Maybe we could collect a few ideas for the beginning. An important point for me would be tabs instead of the workbench dropdown list.
Checkout TabBar https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13368
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:10 pm
usbhub wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:02 pm Maybe we could collect a few ideas for the beginning. An important point for me would be tabs instead of the workbench dropdown list.
Checkout TabBar https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13368
I use TabBar already, but I have to move the bar every start of FreeCAD, because FreeCAD doesn't save the position of the bar correctly. Secondly I think, a standard integration would make sence (the dropdown is very large and confusing).
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

usbhub wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:01 pm I use TabBar already, but I have to move the bar every start of FreeCAD, because FreeCAD doesn't save the position of the bar correctly. Secondly I think, a standard integration would make sence (the dropdown is very large and confusing).
Is there an issue open for this ?
Edit: Maybe open one at https://github.com/triplus/TabBar/ ?
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

There will be tabbars to have related tools.
So are we doing a UI redesign?