ThreadProfile Workbench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vinny

Re: ThreadProfile Workbench

Post by vinny »

Hello

First of all, great plugin!
I was looking to create a thread in FreeCAD and this definitely helps. But what would be the best method to convert it to a mesh?
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

vinny wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:08 pm Hello

I was looking to create a thread in FreeCAD and this definitely helps. But what would be the best method to convert it to a mesh?
You can convert FreeCAD object to meshes using the Mesh Design workbench. Mesh menu -> Create mesh from shape. Alternatively, you can select your shape and press Ctrl+E to bring up the File menu -> Export... dialog, in which you would select the STL format. I use Cura for my 3d slicing. I have found the wavefront obj, and additive manufacturing amf formats also work well with it.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

For a quick and easy STL export I use this method. The clip is in German, but I think the pictures speak for themselves. In 99,9% all cases I have no problems with my slicer (Autodesk Print Studio).
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
vinny

Post by vinny »

TheMarkster wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:41 am

You can convert FreeCAD object to meshes using the Mesh Design workbench. Mesh menu -> Create mesh from shape. Alternatively, you can select your shape and press Ctrl+E to bring up the File menu -> Export... dialog, in which you would select the STL format. I use Cura for my 3d slicing. I have found the wavefront obj, and additive manufacturing amf formats also work well with it.
Sorry for the late response but what I mean is like which settings do you recommend for threads (or general meshing) because I get ugly meshes if I try to do it. Also is it normal to see not very smooth lines (example below)? I'm pretty new to CAD in general just trying to learn a bit so I don't know if this is normal. Am I doing something wrong? I've included 2 meshes that I generated. The first one using standard options and 5 degrees of angular deviation seems to be pretty good, mefisto one is pretty ugly and netgen takes ages so just skipped it. As for exporting to .obj that seems to be pretty good as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsbicgebal95u ... FCStd?dl=0
vinny

Post by vinny »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:16 am

For a quick and easy STL export I use this method. The clip is in German, but I think the pictures speak for themselves. In 99,9% all cases I have no problems with my slicer (Autodesk Print Studio).
Hello
Please see my post above regarding the problems I have with generating meshes. I don't know if this is a beginner's trap or if this is normal behavior.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I'm getting a similar looking mesh.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

vinny wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:33 pm
TheMarkster wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:41 am

Sorry for the late response but what I mean is like which settings do you recommend for threads (or general meshing) because I get ugly meshes if I try to do it. Also is it normal to see not very smooth lines (example below)? I'm pretty new to CAD in general just trying to learn a bit so I don't know if this is normal. Am I doing something wrong? I've included 2 meshes that I generated. The first one using standard options and 5 degrees of angular deviation seems to be pretty good, mefisto one is pretty ugly and netgen takes ages so just skipped it. As for exporting to .obj that seems to be pretty good as well.
Have you ever created it in 3D printing? With a minor diameter of 6.77 mm and a fine thread, it will probably be difficult for the slicer/3D printer to handle it. Anyway, my slicer (Autodesk Print Studio) doesn't issue an error message. I would ignore the zick-zack pattern and do a test print.

Good luck.
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
freedomlives

Post by freedomlives »

Thank you so much! I just made a 3/8" NPP thread for attaching a filter with a BSP thread to an air compressor.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

freedomlives wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:45 pm Thank you so much! I just made a 3/8" NPP thread for attaching a filter with a BSP thread to an air compressor.
Care to make a post on the User Showcases forum demonstrating this ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

This is an announcements forum.

Make your posts in an appropriate forum.

This topic is now locked. It will only be unlocked to allow an "announcement", for example if an update is produced etc.

Its not exactly complex....
Go to
Help forum for Help
Development forum for development etc.