liutas4x4 wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm
But there are a long way to go.
Thank you for your detailed feedback, Eugenijus. There is indeed a long way to go. Some comments:
1. The way for a selection is still terrible.
>>> this comes up periodically. The traditional FC UI is/was object-action (as in "with these objects, perform this action". In a word processor this would be select your text, then press "Cut"). Some people prefer the action-object paradigm (press "Cut", then select the text).
>>> this is slowly changing, I guess, as more and more functions use a TaskView dialog instead of the "objects, actions, change properties) approach.
2. About Tolerances. While there are a way to issue negative sign to lower value, there are not a way to place positive sign. Plus sign is omitted voluntary. So, 80 +0.5/-0.5 looks like 80 0.5/-0.5. Not good for many applications.
>>> As I've said many times, I am not a draughtsman, so please educate me. The "over" tolerance should always have a '+'? Or there should be an option to include it? Should the option apply to a particular dimension or to the whole document?
3. Trailing zeros. If dimension is 80, it must to be 80, not 80.000. Also, 15.5 is not 15.500, especially if it has tolerance, that runs it to 15.520 min and 15.541 max. So, trailing zeros must to be truncated. If you like them, let it be an option for someone. But there must to the way to truncate them.
With one exception: if one limit has some meaning digits after point, the next must to have the same number of digits, even if them are zeros. For example: +0.041/-0.000.
>>> @DeepSOIC gave you the high points for decimal places in Dimensions and I've added a bit to the Wiki after reading this comment. The over/under tolerances do not currently use the/any formatSpec.
4. There must to be a way to type-in Name of Tolerance. Let's say 15H9 +0.033/-0.000. I not found how to do it. It can be drop-down list there.
>>> You could add an Annotation with the Name of Tolerance near the Dimension text, but that is a hack. You could use this work around with the Balloon tool - see https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 92#p298694
>>> Where do the entries for the "Name of Tolerance" come from? I'm assuming there is no standard list?
>>> I should mention here that the current over/under tolerance implementation is a stop-gap under a full solution is developed. There is/was some prerequisite work required, most of which has been implemented.
5. If "Units" are turned on, then the name of units must to placed after all digits, after tolerances, not in between dimension and it's tolerance.
>>> so something like VALUE upper/lower UNIT? or VALUE UNIT upper UNIT/lower UNIT?
6. While idea of Section View is acceptable, it is not working: section is placed in wrong angle. Also, while changing a position of cutting line for a section, it is not updated on the screen until OK is pushed. No preview.
>>> what does "wrong angle" mean?
>>> the "no live update" issue is on the list to be fixed.
7. Hatching is not working on Section View. Area is grayed, without possibility to change it to Hatch.
>>> Hatching the section face is certainly possible (not convenient, but possible.). See picture.
>>> Svg hatching and Geometric hatching are due to be absorbed into a more general "Face Decorator".
>>> Historical note. Section View was implemented long before any hatching was available. The only way to distinguish the cut surface was to apply a colour. This will eventually be changed to default to a traditional hatched cut surface.
8. While choosing a pattern for a Hatch, I see *.dll files in the list. Awesome.
>>> is this in the PropertyEditor? if so, I don't know of a way to apply a filter to the selection dialog.
9. The way for applying center lines is additional trouble: instead of snapping to object, I must to choose something at the dialog and I will see result only after pushing OK.
>>> which centerline please? There are view H/V centerlines (to be deprecated), Face centerlines, 2 line centerlines and 2 point centerlines.
>>> "live preview" is a widespread issue within TD. It used to be generally available, but was removed in many cases to limit the number of recomputes required (as you probably know by now, some drawings are terribly slow to update).
This will (probably) be sorted out as part of v0.19 development.
10. After some operation, Template branch got exclamation mark, with Python console message: "FreeCAD_Doc_19f08e02-86e5-4806-a5bb-1748059a368b_d1848e_4788/A4_LandscapeTD2.svg.c0afb684-8847-48e7-8d1b-72fbdddf3213' failed.", while I does nothing with it.
>>> are you on Windows? If so, then there was probably more to that message. Something along the lines of "Attempt to rename FreeCAD_Doc_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX to FreeCAD_Doc_YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY".
>>> there is an issue on Win involving renaming of temporary files. issue #4085
Once again, thank you for your help.