[Request for Comment] Assigning Ctrl+/ to open the Preference Dialog or About FreeCAD dialog?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

[Request for Comment] Assigning Ctrl+/ to open the Preference Dialog or About FreeCAD dialog?

Post by Kunda1 »

Right now, AFAICT, there is not shortcut that opens the Preferences Editor
I vote that the shortcut key:
Ctrl + /
be assigned to that operation.

Thoughts ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kisolre
Veteran

Re: [Request for Comment] Assigning Ctrl+/ to open the Preference Dialog

Post by kisolre »

Mhy do we need a shortcut for this? I open it about once a month so shortcut will not help anyway. Once you tune your preferences you rarely need to change something.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kisolre wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:36 am Mhy do we need a shortcut for this? I open it about once a month so shortcut will not help anyway. Once you tune your preferences you rarely need to change something.
I've encountered many applications that actually assign a keyboard shortcut to open up their preferences. It's also something that's very common on MacOS.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:36 am Why do we need a shortcut for this? I open it about once a month so shortcut will not help anyway. Once you tune your preferences you rarely need to change something.
+1

I am really a keyboard fan, and I know the situation where I fiddle with the preferences many times a day, but usually it is really rarely used.
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:20 am It's also something that's very common on MacOS.
The shortcut on MacOS is usually "CMD+," Using something different seems to cause more confusion than having no shortcut at all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

+1 for shortcut.
Specially if it is cmd+, OR ctrl+,
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Because it is easy to misread, I want to clarify: on MacOS the shortcut is CMD_key and additionally KOMMA_key.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Can you press those with one hand under MacOS?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Everybody can assign a shortcut (via the Customize command) to the function if desired.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:48 am Can you press those with one hand under MacOS?
On my keyboard: Yes. I don't know if that is the default on Mac keyboards, but I have a CMD key on both sides of the SPACE. My keyboard is small enough (or my hands are so huge) that I can reach from the left CMD key to the PLUS key on the right.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Qt offers the class QKeySequence that defines platform-dependent short cuts:

Code: Select all

from PySide import QtGui
ks=QtGui.QKeySequence(QtGui.QKeySequence.Preferences)
ks.toString()
ks.isEmpty()
However, on Windows it doesn't set a short cut. Can anyone test on macOS or Linux?