options to be implemented for the hole depth

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

options to be implemented for the hole depth

Post by Piero69 »

in the hole feature you need two important options to be implemented for the hole depth

1. "to the next surface" (automatic)
2. "to a surface" (suface to be selected by user)

what do you think?
openBrain
Veteran

Re: options to be implemented for the hole depth

Post by openBrain »

ATM I can't see any useful application. Conventionally, a hole is either blind (so defined by a distance) or through-all. ;)
Can you give an example where it will make sense ?
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

I can give you ten. I'll settle for one :)
Thick tube. Need a threaded through hole from OuterDiameter to InnerDiameter. That hole needs to not go through the whole tube only one wall. Hence I'd benefit from being able to link it to the inner surface of the tube.

How about that?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can have this situation with all kind of cases like boxes, engine housing, etc., where you want to go through the first wall, but never through all.
Besides that from a more general view, a hole is a special kind of pocket and can well provide the same types. (I don't see the "two dimensions" though).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
3DOKIE

Post by 3DOKIE »

I am a noobie to freecad. I am trying to create multiple holes with different diameters and different depths in a pad. I created the sketch with the layout of different diameters but when I try to pad or pocket each one they all change to the same depth. How do I select each hole without it affecting the others?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

3DOKIE wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:34 am How do I select each hole without it affecting the others?
You cannot do this in a single hole feature: One feature - one depth. You have to create several sketches and hole features.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
3DOKIE

Post by 3DOKIE »

Thanks for the info. What is the best way to do this for several objects? Do I create a master sketch and reference each of the holes somehow or create a sketch for each hole and import external geometry to get the reference to each other?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

3DOKIE wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:05 pm What is the best way to do this for several objects?
My preference is to create a master sketch especially if the holes are all on the same plane.
Then, create a Sketcher > Carboncopy, construction mode, for each hole.
Select first carbon copy and toggle the circle for the hole from (EDIT) construction mode and pocket or use hole tool.
Ditto for the remaining holes.
Last edited by ppemawm on Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
3DOKIE

Post by 3DOKIE »

Thanks. I tried to use the carbon copy but I must be doing something wrong. Do I need to select the master first and then create a sketch or create the new sketch first and select the master sketch? I am still trying to learn how to select the items in the tree. I was able to create each object 1 at a time and import the external geometry for reference. Not too bad but I think I could have combined the 6 pockets with the same depth and save some work. Hindsight is 20-20. I would still like to know how to copy the sketches successfully because creating one sketch and toggling the constuction for each depth seems like it would be more efficient.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You create the sketch and from inside Sketcher you use Sketcher CarbonCopy.

Of course you should do all pockets with the same depth in a single hole feature.