[fixed] 2 mesh Workbench issues

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

[fixed] 2 mesh Workbench issues

Post by uwestoehr »

I notice 2 mesh issues:

A:
- open this example file:
Balgwand.FCStd
testcase
(58.26 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
- select in the tree the feature "Kanülenlöcher" (that holds the tip)
- Use the Mesh menu to tesselate it (use the standard mesher and default settings)
result: You get 2 meshes, and both are identical. This must have been introduced recently. Up to now one only got one mesh of the body up to the tip.

B:
- take the same example and try to export the mesh you created in case A to a file
- as filename use "Balgwand.FCStd" and press save
result: you get a warning that the file exists. But the logic should be that the dialog takes the given filename and adds the extension ".stl". So expected to end up with a file named "Balgwand.FCStd.stl"
Maybe I am wrong and the file dialog doesn't allow purposely filenames with 2 dots.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18498 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: bfe968138218089ba6614ee81ae109b775a7b01a
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Last edited by uwestoehr on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pl7i92LCNC

Re: 2 mesh Workbench issues

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

youshoudt general avoid ÖÄÜ for filenames and also spaces

the ending on save is always FCstd
you need to EXPORT

there shoudt be a standard exporter set from user i agree to you
and it exports only the selected design
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

pl7i92LCNC wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:30 pm youshoudt general avoid ÖÄÜ for filenames and also spaces
That is no longer true since at least FC 0.18.

pl7i92LCNC wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:30 pm you need to EXPORT
I did as I wrote.

p.s. Your username in the forum is hard to remember and you should turn on spellchecking in your webbrowser.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

- select in the tree the feature "Kanülenlöcher" (that holds the tip)
- Use the Mesh menu to tesselate it (use the standard mesher and default settings)
result: You get 2 meshes, and both are identical. This must have been introduced recently. Up to now one only got one mesh of the body up to the tip.
Confirmed. Instead of tessellating the tip object you can select the Body feature because the tip is identical to the Body's shape.
- take the same example and try to export the mesh you created in case A to a file
- as filename use "Balgwand.FCStd" and press save
result: you get a warning that the file exists. But the logic should be that the dialog takes the given filename and adds the extension ".stl". So expected to end up with a file named "Balgwand.FCStd.stl"
Maybe I am wrong and the file dialog doesn't allow purposely filenames with 2 dots.
That's not a bug. On Windows we use the native file dialog (i.e. Qt internally uses that of the Win32 API) and it doesn't automatically add the suffix of the selected format list when you choose a file name. However, the suffix will be added as soon as you change the format filter after you have defined a file name. So, if you first choose the file name and then select STL Mesh the dialog automatically extends the file name to be Balgwand.FCStd.stl
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 pm Confirmed. Instead of tessellating the tip object you can select the Body feature because the tip is identical to the Body's shape.
In this special case yes, but I also need meshes of features that don't hold the tip. When doing this, I get now 2 meshes, one is the complete body, the other one the desired mesh.

wmayer wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 pm That's not a bug.
Thanks, I understand,
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:08 pm p.s. Your username in the forum is hard to remember and you should turn on spellchecking in your webbrowser.
It seems to be derived from a Mesa card.
pl7i92LCNC wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:30 pm ping
@pl7i92LCNC: If you have a machine with Mesa cards I would like to hear more about it, especially if it is a retrofit. I would be happy to see a new topic in the Open discussion forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 pm but I also need meshes of features that don't hold the tip. When doing this, I get now 2 meshes, one is the complete body, the other one the desired mesh.
How does the dependency graph looks in that case? Any links going out of allowed scope?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:30 am
uwestoehr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 pm but I also need meshes of features that don't hold the tip. When doing this, I get now 2 meshes, one is the complete body, the other one the desired mesh.
How does the dependency graph looks in that case? Any links going out of allowed scope?
The graph looks OK and there is no message that links go out of scope when touching and recomputing the document.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the information.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The creation of two meshes is caused by a regression of the selection mechanism. In the past the method SelectionSingleton::isSelected() only checked for the passed object/object name whether it's selected or not. But now it does some automatic resolving where it considers the object Kanülenlöcher as a sub-element of the Body and because Kanülenlöcher is selected it also considers the Body as selected.

This however is a strange behaviour and causes quite some inconsistencies. If you e.g. open the Selection View it also only shows that only Kanülenlöcher is selected but not the Body.

Now when you try to select Body after having selected Kanülenlöcher it doesn't allow it while when you first select the Body you can also select Kanülenlöcher.