Tooltable is not backward compatible

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herbk
Veteran

Tooltable is not backward compatible

Post by herbk »

Hi,
atm i use

OS: openSUSE Leap 15.1 (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/plasma5)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18403 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 0717b4fc23ef1db70964c3977d25e2fe46a739d1
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

After edding a new tool to the Tooltable, the tooltable dos not work with older FC versions. - If i open the Tooltable with a older version, it opens but it's empty.
If i add a tool to the TT with this old FC, the contend of the TT gets lost, only the, with the old FC added, tool is availible.

This behavior sems to start with the move of the buttons of the TT (New Tool, Move, etc) from the Button to the right side.
Btw.: whats the reason for that? Its a change of the gui for nothing, but makes problems...
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Tooltable is not backward compatible

Post by chrisb »

I currently have no old version available (0.18 crashed too often on MacOS); does export and import of the tooltable works?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Chris
chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm I currently have no old version available (0.18 crashed too often on MacOS); does export and import of the tooltable works?
"Old" means in this case FC 0.19.17681 (Git) AppImage and lower. - But 0.18 also don't work.

Edit: No, it's not possible a with 0.19.18403 exported TT to import at 0.19.17681 and bevore (TT stays empty)
Gruß Herbert
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

You are correct. Once the tooltable has been opened in 0.19 it converts the tooltable to allow the use of multiple tables.

It will then no longer work with older versions.

Maybe we could show a warning to let users make a backup of the tooltable?

Thanks,

Dan
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Dan,
dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:39 pm Maybe we could show a warning to let users make a backup of the tooltable?
in my mind it would be better if the new Feature (at this case the TT) leaves the old things untouched.

At general im in mind that it would be very good if Stable and Devl versions of FC using a differnt folder for preferences, mods, etc.
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you want to use both, I would recommend to start one of both with an additional -u parameter for using an own config file. I would not like to have for years to come an old tooltable in my config.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

chrisb wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 am If you want to use both, I would recommend to start one of both with an additional -u parameter for using an own config file. I would not like to have for years to come an old tooltable in my config.
Thats no problem for me, but try to see this from a "just" users view... ;)
Gruß Herbert
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Here is me trolling: isn't backwards compatibility by definition backwards and therefore to be discarded?

Here is me serious: what about going the way of the DxF importer, and have a tick box "use legacy tooltable" in the Path config?