toolmanager bombed out , all tools gone.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: toolmanager bombed out , all tools gone.

Post by freman »

PySide is the official Qt binding for Python. PySide is for Qt4, while PySide2 is for Qt5.
Due to the way the guide is done in expandable sections, the links under Debian do not do anything, unless you have already expanded the section. I presumed it was just broken links and did not bother any further since I'm not running debian.

Python 3 and Qt5
Single command for Python 3 and Qt5

This explains why I did not find any mention of PySide2 searching on that page.

The later section : "Building against Python 3 and Qt5" does not make any mention of the need of PySide2 nor that fact that it is not even worth bothering on Fedora. Maybe some clarification is needed there.

hobbes tracker report shows other packages are needed. pyside2-tools may be the relevent one I have been trying to find for the last two days.

Code: Select all

No matching package to install: 'pyside2-tools'
No matching package to install: 'python3-pyside2-devel'
No matching package to install: 'python3-shiboken2-devel'
This means absolutely nothing to me. Is this stable, unstable, new, old? What are you trying to say?
Then maybe a less sarcastic tone may be more suitable in some of your comments about my need to build certain packages from source.

The upshot of the last two days wasted on FreeCAD issues seems to be that I need to either settle for the even more beta that beta state of 0.18 or upgrade my entire distro to get PySide2 or maybe build that from source as well.

Having some upto date info in the guide would be useful before repeatedly sending folks there with the attitude which sounds like RTFM.

Since any mention of Pyside2 is intentionally hidden unless someone expands the section for Superior Distributions, those of use with inferior distros with badly maintained repos are not even aware how badly served we are.

Perhaps that could be improved.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Thanks for your efforts on improving the state of things on Fedora, freman :D
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

For the record, having kludged shiboken into seeing the right version of python, I was able to build py3/qt4.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18445 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 7157a4ac4d87e689f0fe4d5b576105aa9828ba75
Python version: 3.7.4
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

The interface comes up blank, with just a basic menu and the following in report view:

Code: Select all

No module named 'pivy'
I don't know whether I'll chance this cobmo any further though there does seem to be a valid need for QT4 builds.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:13 pm This explains why I did not find any mention of PySide2 searching on that page.

The later section : "Building against Python 3 and Qt5" does not make any mention of the need of PySide2 nor that fact that it is not even worth bothering on Fedora. Maybe some clarification is needed there.
This is more or less implicit. If you have Qt5 development libraries, you should have PySide2 as well.
CompileOnUnix wrote: To compile FreeCAD you have to install the requisite dependencies mentioned in Third Party Libraries; the packages that contain these dependencies are listed below for different Linux distributions. Please note that the names and availability of the libraries will depend on your particular distribution; if your distribution is old, some packages may be unavailable of have a different name.
Third_Party_Libraries wrote: The original Shiboken and PySide packages were meant to be used with Python 2 and Qt4; since these two versions are considered obsolete in 2019, please use Shiboken2 and PySide2, which work with Python 3 and Qt5. New development of FreeCAD is done with Python 3 and Qt5, so compatibility with Python 2 and Qt4 is not guaranteed after FreeCAD 0.18.

Read more about Shiboken and Pyside on Qt for Python.
The stated compilation command is a general instruction for all Linux distributions, but ultimately the Qt5/PySide2 libraries depend on how they are provided by each distribution. As I said, it's unfortunate that Fedora hasn't packaged this well, and that Fedora users haven't written the necessary documentation for their distribution.
Since any mention of Pyside2 is intentionally hidden unless someone expands the section for Superior Distributions, those of use with inferior distros with badly maintained repos are not even aware how badly served we are.

Perhaps that could be improved.
That's what the forum is about. I haven't seen many reports from Fedora users struggling to use FreeCAD. Maybe they don't use FreeCAD, or they use the one in their repositories without problems, or maybe they don't need the most recent version, or maybe they don't need the Path Workbench (not every user requires the same functions as you do!). It could be any combination of these reasons and others. The only way to solve this is to participate in your distribution, by documenting, proposing changes, maintaining packages, etc.
Last edited by vocx on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I haven't seen many reports from Fedora users struggling to use FreeCAD. Maybe they don't use FreeCAD,
I'm not struggling to use it on Fedora, I'm struggling to build it.

It is becoming clear that most linux testing here is very Debian-centric and not much effort goes to testing on any other distros. This is not the fault of Fedora project.

I've decided to update this box to Fed30 since that would seem to improve the possibility of getting a working build.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

freman wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm I've decided to update this box to Fed30 since that would seem to improve the possibility of getting a working build.
Maybe something here can help https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 39#p337815
"fight the good fight"
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm I'm not struggling to use it on Fedora, I'm struggling to build it.
Lol. Stop nitpicking. It's the same thing.
It is becoming clear that most linux testing here is very Debian-centric and not much effort goes to testing on any other distros. This is not the fault of Fedora project.
Of course it's the fault of the Fedora project. Fedora users and developers should test the code in their own operating system and make sure it works there. And if there is a problem, they should fix it on their side (packaging), and send the fixes upstream when appropriate. This is precisely why there are different distributions; because each distribution wants to have their own way of doing things, their own way of packaging, bug tracking, etc.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Right , this is getting out of proportion. Updating the OS brings in more problems.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora- ... ashes/1161
There is an incompatibility between qt 5.xxx and the nouveau driver for certain NVidia legacy cards (in my case it is the NVidia GeForce GT 100M series) and so the deskop freezes or crashes. An installed Debian buster KDE has the same issues,
Apparently that issue will exist on "superior" distros too. If building master means changing OS and buying a new computer, not building master seems the most sensible course after 3 or 4 days chasing around. FreeCAD is nice but it's not the centre of my universe.

I will have to find a build from a couple of months back when all was working fine.

py3 may be workable but if that also obliges qt5 which is causing multiple issues this maybe unnecessarily restrictive. "Worksforme" is probably not an optimal design philosophy if you want broader uptake of the software.

If you want officially drop python2 as a build option then this clearly cannot be the default build and it needs to be trapped at cmake instead of letting folks spend hours building something which is know not to work.

Maybe py3/qt4 should be made to work for hardware/software where qt5 is showing problems or making FreeCAD unnecessarily slow.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

For reading or writing the user.cfg we use the xerces library and for some reason it (sometimes) adds these extra newlines. However, this is not a problem at all because if they are there or not it has no impact on the actual content because they appear between two tags.
With this change git commit 9ed08a813 it hopefully doesn't add more and more extra newlines.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

wmayer wrote:Nevertheless, if someone runs into a Py2 or Qt4 problem that can be easily fixed I am still open to make a fix for it. As DeepSOIC already said there are systems where Qt5 causes quite some problems whereas Qt4 worked perfectly well.
How difficult is making to toolmanager changes work with py2 ? I asked above with the idea of having a look.

That seems to be the sticking point with qt4/py2 at the moment. If qt5 is known to present even more issues and less performance, I'm not in a hurry for this "upgrade".