Interesting: How to render simulation animations and screenshots using Paraview

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Kunda1
Veteran

Interesting: How to render simulation animations and screenshots using Paraview

Post by Kunda1 »

phpBB [video]
Thought this would be of interest to the FEM-Knights ;)
Aka Knight-of-FEM
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Re: Interesting: How to render simulation animations and screenshots using Paraview

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 am Thought this would be of interest to the FEM-Knights ;)
This is interesting for sure. I didn't know Paraview could open d3plots. That must mean the d3plot file format is well described in LS-Dyna's manual. I think I've seen it, I just didn't remember it.

I'm not sure if CalculiX can do these types of dynamic, big deformation analyses (crush). As far as I've seen, most CalculiX users do static analysis, like those that structural engineers need, analysis of strees and tension, but not big deformation.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
EkaitzEsteban

Re: Interesting: How to render simulation animations and screenshots using Paraview

Post by EkaitzEsteban »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 am
phpBB [video]
Thought this would be of interest to the FEM-Knights ;)
Aka Knight-of-FEM
Very interesting for mode shape animations in frequency analysis...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

vocx wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:35 am I'm not sure if CalculiX can do these types of dynamic, big deformation analyses (crush). As far as I've seen, most CalculiX users do static analysis, like those that structural engineers need, analysis of strees and tension, but not big deformation.
Depends what a large deformation is ... CalculiX supports wide ranges of nonlinearity. For sure more than any commercial structural engineering (really structural engineering software) software I have seen so far. I even would not call CalculiX structural engineering software. Its main developer has been employer for decades at MTU. AFAIK marine engines are not structural objects ... and for sure marine engines analyses involves nonlinearity.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm Depends what a large deformation is ...
I think I'm using LS-Dyna's terminology, or what they call "explicit dynamics", which is solving for the equations of motion over time.

I don't know if you can see page 9, https://docplayer.net/9064664-Applicati ... nents.html

Code: Select all

Explicit:
- Impact, penetration, high rate dynamics
- Many small time steps
- Courant condition limits longest stable time step
- Conditionally stable
- Robust, even for strongly non-linear models
- Low memory requirements
- Expensive to conduct long duration simulations

Implicit:
- Static, eigenvalue, low rate dynamic analysis
- Few large time steps
- Model size (degrees of freedom) affects wall time
- Can be unconditionally stable
- Eventually problematic for strongly non-linear models
- High memory requirements (inverting stiffness matrix)
- Relatively inexpensive for long duration analysis
Or said in another way, can CalculiX produce that animation of the can being crushed? How would you set the boundary conditions on the moving plane and the contact surfaces?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

vocx wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Code: Select all

Explicit:
- Impact, penetration, high rate dynamics

Ther is a difference between big deformations in structural engineering, mechanical engineering and what you described. What you described are huuuge deformations. Mechanical engineering involves large deformations. This is what CalculiX is capable of. Structural engineering involves large deformations too but far less large than mechanical engineering.

We just need to be careful with the word large!!!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

vocx wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm Or said in another way, can CalculiX produce that animation of the can being crushed? How would you set the boundary conditions on the moving plane and the contact surfaces?
you could give it a try with FreeCAD FEM ... https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p340974 but as said quite a few times this is not by buissiness since I am structural engineer.