WB: Image, Imageplane Image on face

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Petert

WB: Image, Imageplane Image on face

Post by Petert »

Hi,

I am a refugee from Fusion 360, have been using Fusion for almost 4 years now and after the latest debacle with the licensing stuff I had enough of AutoDesk.
Been playing with FreeCAD 0.18 for a week now and I have some questions:

In Fusion I can use a 'decal' to put an image to a face, so labels and stickers can be shown on a model. I hoped that making a part and then selecting a face and then using the image workbench would work. But I can only select from the 'standard' planes, not my face. Even after I made a datum plane, I still do not get the option to choose that plane so the label will be in the right spot. What am I doing wrong?

I looked and looked through the documentation and could not find an answer. Maybe I am thinking the wrong way?
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16131 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 3129ae4296e40ed20e7b3d460b86e6969acbe1c3
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
Attachments
szc23.FCStd
(179.12 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by Petert on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a refugee from Fusion 360. Switched over to FreeCAD and am spreading the word. After years of very little progress I switched again to another solution. I wish you all the best!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: WB: Image, Imageplane Image on face

Post by chrisb »

You can use the Part->Attachment. It will place an imageplane on some other face, but is not parametric, i.e. if the other face changes its position the imageplane will not follow.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

chrisb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:00 pm You can use the Part->Attachment. It will place an imageplane on some other face, but is not parametric, i.e. if the other face changes its position the imageplane will not follow.
cand this imagplane be linked to the standard face position with the new link WB
Petert

Post by Petert »

chrisb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:00 pm</s>
You can use the Part->Attachment. It will place an imageplane on some other face, but is not parametric, i.e. if the other face changes its position the imageplane will not follow.
<e>
Thanks (I guess).<
This is what happens:
part-attach_image.png
part-attach_image.png (69.83 KiB) Viewed 694 times
I am a refugee from Fusion 360. Switched over to FreeCAD and am spreading the word. After years of very little progress I switched again to another solution. I wish you all the best!
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Petert wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:03 pm This is what happens:
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum! You're using the tool backwards. But first you should edit Sketch to make it become Fully Constrained because right now it can be moved around - its position isn't defined. You should probably apply a Symmetry Constraint to the two endpoints of either the top or bottom horizontal line segments and the vertical axis (A Horizontal Constraint will become Redundant, so look at the Solver Messages and delete it). Then apply a Vertical Distance Constraint to an endpoint of either the top or bottom horizontal line segment and the origin, or apply a Point On Edge Constraint to and endpoint of the top or bottom horizontal line segment and the horizontal axis.

Now on to using the Part WB > Attachment tool. From the history tree select your Image Plane, then click the Part WB > Attachment tool. Click the Continue button in the pop-up window to continue. When the Attachment tool widget opens, in the 3D view click the face onto which you'd like the Image Plane to be attached. Scroll down a bit and change the Attachment Mode to "XY on Plane", then click the Ok button.

I tested using your file and the version below:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.1.
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

blue = edit
Last edited by bejant on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petert

Post by Petert »

bejant wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:09 pm
Petert wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:03 pm This is what happens:
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum! You're using the tool backwards. But first you should edit Sketch to make it become Fully Constrained because right now it can be moved around - its position isn't defined. You should probably apply a Symmetry Constraint to the two endpoints of either the top or bottom horizontal line segments and the vertical axis (A Horizontal Constraint will become Redundant, so look at the Solver Messages and delete it). Then apply a Vertical Distance Constraint to an endpoint of either the top or bottom horizontal line segment and the origin, or apply a Point On Edge Constraint to and endpoint of the top or bottom horizontal line segment and the horizontal axis.

Now on to using the Part WB > Attachment tool. From the history tree select your Image Plane, then click the Part WB > Attachment tool. Click the Continue button in the pop-up window to continue. When the Attachment tool widget opens, click the face onto which you'd like the Image Plane to be attached. Scroll down a bit and change the Attachment Mode to "XY on Plane", then click the Ok button.
Wow, thank you for that!
I managed to get an image attached (kinda) to a face. But you spotted the constrain problems that caused the problems. Thanks once again!

Will try tomorrow and will let you know how it went.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Petert wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:56 pm Wow, thank you for that!
You're welcome, and post back if you need more help. I spotted something in my last reply that is a bit cloudy so I'll fix that.