FreeCAD and photogrammetry

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
l3VGV

FreeCAD and photogrammetry

Post by l3VGV »

Hello.

Im learning FreeCAD v 0.18

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16131 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 3129ae4296e40ed20e7b3d460b86e6969acbe1c3
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Russian/Russia (ru_RU)

im able to crate models of square, round and other simple pars, but what im up to is a complex part of joystick, wich is totaly made from curves. So i decided to make some kind of 3d model, without a proper scaner i used a camera and photogrammetry software, that was a partial success.

Now i imported that as mesh and used section to make drafts, then i use b-splines. All of that take a lot of time. So, am i doing it right? Or maybe ther is some other way to solve that.

pictures of part im trying to model, painted becose photogrammetry do not work on black surfaces.

Mesh
Vincent B
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD and photogrammetry

Post by Vincent B »

You could use CurvesWB to describe your model.
And share you STL file as well.
l3VGV

Post by l3VGV »

Here is STL, forum do not alow me to attach a large file, so external link, sory.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g1HmDQ ... sp=sharing
l3VGV

Post by l3VGV »

To share my finding and experience.

1) i was able to do what i wanted. From 3d scanned data i made freecad part and 3d printed it
2) it toke alot of trials and errors to achieve

I wasnt able to find any free to use software for automated mesh to surface reconstruction, to produce solid object. Converting 20-30k faces into a solid is possible, but not pleasant to work with.

Advice from mr GlouGlou, i used it, thank you, again!
Work reasonable well. First i get my mesh into freecad, then use DraftWB spline to make a closed loop, then i use SurfaceWB surface, one that made from closed loop and points and aditinal curves. So if u carful, u can add points and another draft splines ther, and it will not warp on you. Nice and easy, but take alot of time, and every once in a while dreaftWB decide to play some joke on you and all new pointw you drop hoping that they will snap to mesh, well they will float a few mm above it. Why? no idea.

Mesh

Line is a boundary curve, draftWB closed. And alot uf not closed splines, as a "unbound edges", vertexes isnt shown, but the idea is the same.
One should not add to much, otherwise surface will go crazy. Oscillation is a term here?

Oscillation

Extruded surface

But with all that done, i was able to extrude, export to stl and 3dprint without any issues. Curvy test was a success, part fit very well with almost no space betwen original surface and printed one.

Moral of the story: draft WB is great. Surfaces is cool too.
Attachments
upper button holder2.FCStd
(390.54 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Thanks for the update and it's always nice to see FreeCAD surface capabilities progressing further. Such use cases and presentations, on what people do with FreeCAD. That can be motivating to developers working in this area.