Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bluebaer

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by bluebaer »

Hi,

Thanks for the great job of introducing links to freecad!

I am working with

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17089 +1543 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 950c082111ae5ebeefb4dddc90a80dc9b54b2408
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

I noticed following behavior:

1. open new file
2. generate a cube(1) dim 10/10/10
3. generate a cube link of cube(1)
4. scale linked cube by 100
4. try transform link with right mouse bottom in combo menue

=> transfromation handling object gets scaled and blows the screen.
Effect.PNG
Effect.PNG (280.05 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

It seems as if the transformation handling object is scales to strong.

If you do the same operation with two cube the transformation handling shows as follows:
w-o_effect.PNG
w-o_effect.PNG (144.62 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

Please advise how to proceed e.g. where to post.

Thomas
Attachments
2cube_w-o_scale.FCStd
demo with 2 cubes
(9.55 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Cube-master.FCStd
test file
(10.33 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

bluebaer wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:49 pm => transfromation handling object gets scaled and blows the screen.
Thanks for reporting. I'll fix that soon.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

realthunder wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:25 pm Right, asm3 actually works in the LinkMerge branch. I'll soon make some changes so that it can be installed through the add-on manager.
When that happens, may I suggest to call it Assembly3 (and not asm3) in the addons repository, so that all assembly modules have similar names ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Zolko wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 am
realthunder wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:25 pm Right, asm3 actually works in the LinkMerge branch. I'll soon make some changes so that it can be installed through the add-on manager.
When that happens, may I suggest to call it Assembly3 (and not asm3) in the addons repository, so that all assembly modules have similar names ?
Sure. I think the add-on manager display name is customizable? At least the default name is the git repo name, which is FreeCAD_Assembly3 in my case.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

Hi RealThunder, here is the next problem I stumbled into:

When my current project work-file is loaded, many Body elements are switched invisible (they are visible for a very short time and then hidden just before loading finishes). To be precise, the last feature of these Bodies are hidden.

Unhiding them manually makes them visible again, but when the document is reloaded later, those features are invisible again. As a work-around, I changed the "Display Mode Body" property on the view page from "Through" to "Tip", but I am not sure what I am doing here.

The problem appeared several times now, and I decided to re-create the project from scratch, trying to avoid critical actions, such as deleting and copying objects.

Now I have two files which should make it possible to find the cause.

In file cnc-9-46-b, there is the assembly "Asm023 000" (X Traverse), which shall go as link into the assembly "Asm014 000", which is located in the group named "Base Assembly". At this point, the file is (quite) OK.

Then I created the link "Asm023 001", moved it to its parent "Asm014 000" > "Parts014", and checked the axial move part function. Then saved the file and closed freecad.

When this file is re-opened, Freecad makes the last feature of nearly all bodies in the X Traverse assembly "Asm023 000" invisible. These bodies can be found in the "Base Carriages" folder.

The error appears also when the assembly "Asm023 000" is moved to "Asm014 000" (instead of the link).

I have attached the files as multipart archive, because it is a little bit big.

(The error also appeared earlier in this file, I was able to get around it with bodies in the external file "helper2". I imported these parts, but the link to the now local assembly is not stored correctly.)

I'll try to recreate the error pattern in a small file, that should make debugging easier.

Best regards, and thanks a lot so far.
Ulrich
Attachments
cnc-9-46-b.part4.rar
(140.32 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
cnc-9-46-b.part3.rar
(512 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
cnc-9-46-b.part2.rar
(512 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
cnc-9-46-b.part1.rar
(512 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

BassMati wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:25 pm Hi RealThunder, here is the next problem I stumbled into:
Which version are you trying. Could you please post your FC about? I can't seem to reproduce the visibility problem you described. Maybe you can make a smaller file to make it easier to narrow down the problem. Thanks.
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

It's still your last pre-compiled preview version 0.10.2 2019.07.03. I didn't have the patience to build from the GitHub repo.

Before you start debugging, please hold for a while, I am investigating further from the user perspective. Seems that the assembly container is broken. Moving the links to a new, fresh container seems to help. Could not reproduce the error with a new demo project. Still unclear to me what action caused damage to the assembly container.

Thanks a lot for your invaluable effort!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17089 +1543 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 950c082111ae5ebeefb4dddc90a80dc9b54b2408
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Animation Workbench in your ASM Appimage

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

realthunder wrote:Ping
Hi Realthunder,
in my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS daily builds I installed the Animator workbench via the Addon Installer.
In your Assembly3 Workbench I see the Workbench as installed in the Addon Manager, but I can't switch to the Workbench.
Do you know what this may be? I want to try to move a crankshaft with connecting rod and piston, which I assembled with ASM3 and constraints.
See the following thread in the German Freecad-Forum, there you can also find my exercise Freecad file zipped.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p344110
Many thanks and many greetings
Wilfried
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

How to reference an object in a different file in a formula?
I can't seem to find a prefix for an object that is a different file… or is it not possible in the moment?
THX in advance
Ulrich
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

BassMati wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:42 pm How to reference an object in a different file in a formula?
I can't seem to find a prefix for an object that is a different file… or is it not possible in the moment?
THX in advance
Ulrich
The syntax is DocumentName#ObjectName.PropertyName. Those names must be internal name. If you want to reference by label, you must quote them, like, <<Document Label>>#<<Object Label>>.PropertyName