Drilling a hole with a tread in a Part primitve

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
catman

Drilling a hole with a tread in a Part primitve

Post by catman »

FreeCAD is becoming such a great tool that keep recommending it to other people that have been looking into CAD Systemes before. But when trying to explain the basic concepts, I keep stumbling over some Part/PartDesign issues.

The Hole thing is still a mystery to me. One main reason for me not using the part primitives is that I did not find an easy hole feature. Many of my parts need holes or theads somewhere. Of course I could create a cylinder, place it at the right position and subtract it from the cube. Somehow I can not believe this is the meant way to control holes in simple workpieces like holding plates etc.
Typically I need to put in holes with various tolderances, holes with threads and things like counterbores. They need to stick to quite a few distance contstraints. When doing a sketch with circles and trying to extrude it for boolean subtraction, I am hitting FreeCad's limitation of not doing multi-body extrusions (yet). None of the icons in the Part WB seem to make references about doing holes.

So what is the effocient Part WB process to to holes and threads without using Part:Hole? How to put them in so that TechDraw would recognize the thead as M6, for example?
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Drilling a hole with a tread in a Part primitve

Post by papyblaise »

Hello
the best solution to drill hole is the tool "Pocket" all drill of the same dia can be drawing in the same sketch in ones
The tool "Hole" works as find as possible whith cunterbore option , But I never be able to use it for theared drill (but i'm not God :lol: )
catman

Post by catman »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:26 pm Hello
the best solution to drill hole is the tool "Pocket" all drill of the same dia can be drawing in the same sketch in ones
The tool "Hole" works as find as possible whith cunterbore option , But I never be able to use it for theared drill (but i'm not God :lol: )
But isn't Pocket also a tool on the PartDesign WB?
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

What :!: it's only in Partdesign Wb till V.17
catman

Post by catman »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:39 pm What :!: it's only in Partdesign Wb till V.17
I just tried with my V0.18 to use Pocket to make a hole in a Part:Box cube. Its given me an error. I had to put it into a PartDesign Body, then I could apply a sketch and theapply PartDesign:Pocket. But thats back to PartDesign Workflow. That can't be the only way, can it?
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

if you need it for 3D print just use the fastenr WB take your screw place it where you like to have it and make a Boolean
as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e30mbpUPM3Y

in all other cases its just a hole
wif you construct on real items use part design WB ther is a hole tool inside working on any given Circle construction
as shown here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RatpE-xF63A
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FreeCAD can very well do multi body extrusions:
Snip macro screenshot-aa70de.png
Snip macro screenshot-aa70de.png (11.9 KiB) Viewed 768 times
I don't agree with papyblaise that the Pocket is the best tool for holes. If you need all these facy things like counterbores and countersinks, you may have a look at the PartDesign hole feature. If I understand you right, you avoid PartDesign because of the holes, but it is in that very workbench what is most advanced in that respect. I admit though that you cannot configure it beyond what is predefined now.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

pl7i92LCNC wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:22 pm if you need it for 3D print just use the fastenr WB take your screw place it where you like to have it and make a Boolean
as shown here ...
As this is the english forum, and you seem to take every opportunity to promote your videos here, you may consider translating them to english too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
catman

Post by catman »

pl7i92LCNC wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:22 pm if you need it for 3D print just use the fastenr WB take your screw place it where you like to have it and make a Boolean
as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e30mbpUPM3Y
That is really a cool idea, I did not think about it. At least its a cool thing to demo ;). Uses outside 3D prints might be a bit more limited, however.

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:54 pm If I understand you right, you avoid PartDesign because of the holes, but it is in that very workbench what is most advanced in that respect. I admit though that you cannot configure it beyond what is predefined now.

@chrisb if you mean me (and not papyblaise), you got me wrong. Vice versa. I'm almost using PartDesign for everything.

I am trying to understand the Part WB. Why is such a central thing as putting holes into an object missing from the Part WB and nobody every cared to put that in. It would make sense if everybody is using PartDesign, but reading in the forum it seems to me that there are people claiming to not use PartDesign at all. I wonder how that is possible. I must be missing something.
basePlate.png
basePlate.png (10.39 KiB) Viewed 745 times
From what you both said, Part WB does not seem really consistent. I remember very well the first time I tried out FreeCAD. The first thing I wanted to do was this object above. I did a Part:Box and then got stuck. Why can't I put a sketch onto the face of the Part:Box, put in 4 points and select a Hole function dialog pointing to that sketch?
catman

Post by catman »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:54 pm FreeCAD can very well do multi body extrusions:
I tried to do that with PartDesign:Pad, but it gave me an error. I must admit I silently translate "Pad" to "Extrusion". It there a reason why its called "pad" and not "extrusion". The function seems the same.