Feature #4162 - Draft: change pointer 'Pick Radius' based on if the user is editing or selecting

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Feature #4162 - Draft: change pointer 'Pick Radius' based on if the user is editing or selecting

Post by Kunda1 »

This thread is a discussion thread for issue #4162 - Draft Feature: change pointer 'Pick Radius' based on if the user is editing or selecting
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
carlopav
Veteran

Re: Feature #4162 - Draft: change pointer 'Pick Radius' based on if the user is editing or selecting

Post by carlopav »

Great, you can assign it to me since it's concerning edit command I guess.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Feature #4162 - Draft: change pointer 'Pick Radius' based on if the user is editing or selecting

Post by Kunda1 »

carlopav wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:11 am Great, you can assign it to me since it's concerning edit command I guess.
Done (added you as a 'Developer', congrats ;) )
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:44 pm added you as a 'Developer', congrats ;)
Wow, that's a huge resposibility, hope I haven't been too hasty :). Just to be sure if i got it right:
- we should create a new Parameter for "DraftEditPickRadius" (in BaseApp\Preferences\Mod\Draft) (Float);
- this line https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... dit.py#L68 should fetch it;
- in the Draft user preferences a new entry should give the user the chance to modify it (maybe in snap and grid sheet?);
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

carlopav wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:04 pm Wow, that's a huge resposibility, hope I haven't been too hasty :). Just to be sure if i got it right:
- we should create a new Parameter for "DraftEditPickRadius" (in BaseApp\Preferences\Mod\Draft) (Float);
- this line https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... dit.py#L68 should fetch it;
AFAICT, that makes sense.
carlopav wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:04 pm - in the Draft user preferences a new entry should give the user the chance to modify it (maybe in snap and grid sheet?);
Yea, that works though not ideal. Having it's own section makes sense to me...like 'Mouse'.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Does something like this make sense at the beginning of Draft Edit?
It works as expected: if the parameter exhist it returns != 0 and the self.pick_radius can get it. Otherwise the parameter is set.

Code: Select all

if FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Draft").GetInt("DraftEditPickRadius") == 0:
    FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Draft").SetInt("DraftEditPickRadius", 20)

self.pick_radius = FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Draft").GetInt("DraftEditPickRadius", 20)
I just find it not so elegant...

EDIT: This is the second option. perhaps it's better:

param = FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Draft")
        self.pick_radius = param.GetInt("DraftEditPickRadius", 0)
        if self.pick_radius == 0: 
            param.SetInt("DraftEditPickRadius", 20)
            self.pick_radius = 20
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

carlopav wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 pm
EDIT: This is the second option. perhaps it's better:

param = FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Draft")
        self.pick_radius = param.GetInt("DraftEditPickRadius", 0)
        if self.pick_radius == 0: 
            param.SetInt("DraftEditPickRadius", 20)
            self.pick_radius = 20
Yea, this does seem more sleek
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

BTW, pick radius can be also manipulated with

Gui.ActiveDocument.ActiveView.getViewer().getPickRadius()
Gui.ActiveDocument.ActiveView.getViewer().setPickRadius(15)
EDIT: and then I realized that advice wasn't asked for. If you already know, sorry for the noise.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:07 am BTW, pick radius can be also manipulated with

Gui.ActiveDocument.ActiveView.getViewer().getPickRadius()
Gui.ActiveDocument.ActiveView.getViewer().setPickRadius(15)
EDIT: and then I realized that advice wasn't asked for. If you already know, sorry for the noise.
That's even cooler! Thanks @DeepSOIC
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Here you can find the PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2642.
Hope it works since i'm not able to compile and this was the first time trying to edit the preferences UI.