sketch edit doesn't update the pocket???

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oldestfox

sketch edit doesn't update the pocket???

Post by oldestfox »

FC was downloaded from SourceForge.net
Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.2192 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: b63f9d7a2b440e1363508976ec105dac31d7f698
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.5.1

After all of those long posts with Norm I thought I was understanding some of this, but this one has me stumped.
Here's the post with all the babble.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4346#p34074

And here's the file for this new post.
Part 007.FCStd
(157.12 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
This is an overall of where the problem is... the arc on the left end of the sketch

When I was finished with the last element in the tree I noticed that the referenced arc wasn't correct. So I edited sketch003 and set the 6.25 horizontal constraint and all looked well.

However, when I closed the sketch edit, I was expecting to see an updated pocket002, sketch003.

The original pocket remained. It wasn't updated. Where did I go wrong. I didn't delete anything out of the tree. I didn't fork anything in the tree. I just edited sketch003. I expected everything that is dependent on sketch003 to be updated.
I can probably make it right by deleting some things and redoing it. Would that really be necessary?

OK. I just did a dependency graph. (I had to install graphviz)
Looks like pocket005 and pocket006 are orphans. Right?
The graph looks backwards to me, according to the arrows. And why is it broken between "fillet" and "fillet001"?

Thanks.
triplus
Veteran

Re: sketch edit doesn't update the pocket???

Post by triplus »

However, when I closed the sketch edit, I was expecting to see an updated pocket002, sketch003.
Yes and this does actually happen if u highlight Pocket002 and press space bar to show it while hiding Pocket006 you will see changes made to Sketch003 are reflected on Pocket002!

Said that use different constrains in Sketch003 in the first place for example delete all 6.25 ones and add radius constrain to the radius and tangency constrain between radius and below line.

After that u used Refine shape tool and this is why changes made in Sketch003 are not inherited by Pocket006. To solve this first delete first Refine shape Fillet001 and hide Pocket002 and show Fillet. On Fillet select the face you would like Sketch005 mapped on and use Map a sketch to a face tool in PartDesign Workbench. After that you can delete pocket005 and Pocket006 and use Refine shape tool on Pocket004.

If you will be adding anything else in the future delete last Refine shape Pocket005 and work from Pocket004 onwards and after you are finished again use Refine shape tool at the end.
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

Thanks trip.
I'll work through this and holler back it I can't get it all done properly. :?
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

Of course it worked out great. Thanks.
What I've learned...
Use refine shape at the very end. "Refine shape" becomes a new feature in the tree. Can I delete after using it without a reversion? (graphically)
Learn to use constrains more efficiently. I know I don't use them well.

Now I'll go back and go through it and analyze step by step exactly is happening. I'll learn it.

What a trip! (pun intended) :lol:
Thanks
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Learn to use constrains more efficiently. I know I don't use them well.

Now I'll go back and go through it and analyze step by step exactly is happening. I'll learn it.
Yes Sketch004 for example is totally off. Sketch isn't closed Constrain9 is not attached to X axis and all around it's under defined. This leads to broken results after using boolean operations and changing anything before that sketch will most likely produce unexpected results. For learning purposes delete everything after Pocket002 and do Sketch004 again but this time use tools like "Create an edge linked to external geometry" as it was suggested in previous thread.