Omitting one or more sides when contouring/profiling

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tomi_wunder

Omitting one or more sides when contouring/profiling

Post by tomi_wunder »

Hello,
For a little furniture project I've designed a simple corner joint (e.g. for making box drawers etc.)
cnc_joint_sidesselected.png
cnc_joint_sidesselected.png (38.07 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
and I'd like to create a simple toolpath to produce this joint on my CNC router. Profiling the whole part (as designed) from all four sides (front, left, back, right) is easy to do. However I can't seem to find a way how to generate a path for only machining the "finned" side (as selected in the screenshot), but not the left, right and rear (straight) sides.
I would be really happy if you could help me out. I've searched this forum high and low, but maybe I'm just using the wrong terms...

Thanks in advance!
schnebeck

Re: Omitting one or more sides when contouring/profiling

Post by schnebeck »

It would be easier to help you if you can attach a FreeCAD file and tell us something about your FreeCAD version ;-)
See here:https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264 Point #4 & #6
Bye

Thorsten
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Thorsten,
it's not in this case, ;)

For the same question are 3 or 4 threads at the first page of Path help Forum... :roll: :roll:
Gruß Herbert
tomi_wunder

Post by tomi_wunder »

schnebeck wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:07 pm It would be easier to help you if you can attach a FreeCAD file and tell us something about your FreeCAD version ;-)
Sorry, I stupidly forgot to do so. I beg your pardon!
My FreeCAD version is

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16131 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.3)
Hash: 3129ae4296e40ed20e7b3d460b86e6969acbe1c3
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Attached is the project file. As already pointed out, the normal contouring operation goes all round the work piece. I however need to exclusively machine the "front" side (where the "rounded dovetails", or rather call them fins) are, but not the three straight sides.

(In the project file I'm also using the tag dressup, because, as I coundn't figure out how to keep the path going all round the piece I needed the holding tags for making some samples to find out if the joint would work in general. So please ignore that dressup.)
Attachments
dovetail1.FCStd
project file
(66.91 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
schnebeck

Post by schnebeck »

herbk wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:48 pm Hi Thorsten,
it's not in this case, ;)

For the same question are 3 or 4 threads at the first page of Path help Forum... :roll: :roll:
I know... "Use a base plate, Luke" - but its still interesting if this is FC 0.16 or a later version.

Bye

Thorsten
schnebeck

Post by schnebeck »

I don't know if we already had this way - maybe its a new solution:
Here I close the loop via a displaced stock and used my beloved adaptive inside ;-)
Screenshot_20191028_151220.png
Screenshot_20191028_151220.png (345.4 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
This only works with adaptive, as this tool works not only with a strict but also with a "somehow" closed edge selection.

HTH

thorsten
Last edited by schnebeck on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

schnebeck wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:19 pm Here I close the loop via a displaced stock
Hey, that's a great solution for this recurring issue. Wish we had non cubic stock :mrgreen: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
schnebeck

Post by schnebeck »

chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:41 pm Hey, that's a great solution for this recurring issue. Wish we had non cubic stock :mrgreen: .
Hmm, Stock can also be a cylinder or any existing solid, this includes helper plates ;-)
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Could this be automated? Seems like the perfect base for a tool to machine only selected areas...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

schnebeck wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:46 pm Stock can also be a cylinder or any existing solid, this includes helper plates ;-)
Just saw it with delight :D , but I didn't succeed in creating a partial path. Would you mind uploading your file for investigation?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.