1st submission

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SupDoc

1st submission

Post by SupDoc »

I am a newbie. I started with the First Draft tutorial. I got as far as lines & arc I set the radius to 30. Could not find the starting anglee. Any ideas where I went wrong?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: 1st submission

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

While creating an arc you have the panel at the left. You can either there enter the values in the input field, or you can use the mouse in 3D view.
The behaviour of the mouse may depend on the Mouse Model used.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

Hi
there is also a sketcher Work Bench or even to start at Part Design First to get Fast Progress
can you give us a Idee on what projekt or Design you are on to get you a example to work with
FreeCad is a 3d CAD so it is somthing you can get fast into progress if you have some 2D Autocad knoledge
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

SupDoc wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:15 am I am a newbie. I started with the First Draft tutorial. I got as far as lines & arc I set the radius to 30. Could not find the starting anglee. Any ideas where I went wrong?
Start angle normally appears in the Task panel. It is updated when you move the mouse or a value can be entered manually.
SupDoc

Post by SupDoc »

I continue to have difficulties using the Draft Tutorial. I select working plane, select XY-plane, select the arc, x=0 y=0 z=0, I click on the box that says select center point & radius=0 comes up, I type in radius=30.00 mm, and there is nothing for me to do - starting angle does not appear anywhere. You tell me the Start angle normally appears in the Task panel. I don't see it anywhere. In the meantime the window has split horizontally & I cannot restore it's original configuration, which was task bar on the left & working window on the right. I need a little more help please. Also, details please on how to sent an image of my window, I don't know what to do with this=> i.eImage
SupDoc

Post by SupDoc »

The problem seems to be that most of the tutorials are for v0.16 but I have v 0.18. Do you have any v 0.18 tutorials for me to uses? Or is there some other way for me to get on board? The last tutorial used terms that don't even exist for my version. Same for x0.17.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

May I ask why you want to use Draft? What are you heading for?
AFAIK there haven't been substantial changes in the Draft workbench since 0.16, but I may be wrong as far as the user interface is concerned.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
SupDoc

Post by SupDoc »

I have an immediate need to convert two *.dxf files into *.stl files, for the purpose of 3D printing a couple of parts, and later on getting those same parts injection molded. Another site gave me simple step-by-step instructions on how to do that using FreeCAD, but they didn't work, both parts are quite simple. If you could give me step-by-step instructions on how to do that I would be extremely grateful. Later on I would enjoy learning FreeCAD for other projects I have in mind, again for the purpose of injection molding.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I cannot be of much help in that corner of FreeCAD,but I'm sure others can. You may consider opening a new topic with a better subject telling more about the contents, such as "Help needed for converting DXF to stl". Add some images, the dxf or the FreeCAD file, depending on where you got stuck. Explain in detail what you want to do.
SupDoc

Post by SupDoc »

Could you please help me post an image on FreeCAD forum? I get the following when I click on image =>Image. What now?