Collection of TD issues, proposals and ideas for FC 0.19

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Collection of TD issues, proposals and ideas for FC 0.19

Post by uwestoehr »

Thanks to the rainy weekend I spent some time with TD and want to write down all the small things I encountered. This idea is to have a live list that will reflect the current status. Note: The list will only contain small issues that I think can be fixed/improved for FC 0.19. For general issues, please open a new thread for discussion.

Issues
  • The toolbar button Show/hide invisible edges in a View must only be enabled when a View is selected. Currently it is always enabled and can lead to a crash, see this post. -> The crash has been fixed by PR 2681
  • Balloon annotations move when Lock Position is true, see this post.
  • No default size for RichTextAnnotations, see this post. -> fixed by PR 2975
  • Several RichTextAnnotation issues, see this post.
  • Select a leader line in the tree and go to the View properties tab. The frame setting Line Style has numbers. But since this settings offers line styles, it should instead of a number be a combo box showing the different line types, see this post.
  • New leader lines appear outside of tree, see this post.
  • Leader line disappears when reopening document, see this post.
  • Text in balloon annotations is not centered, see this post. -> Proposed fix: PR 2693
  • The property rotation misses the unit '°'. So instead of App::PropertyFloat it should be App::PropertyAngle in DrawView.h. -> Proposed fix: PR 2747
  • The properties X and Y miss the unit. So instead of App::PropertyFloat it should be App::PropertyLength in DrawView.h. -> Proposed fix: PR 2734
  • The annotation property MaxWidth misses a unit. It seems the unit is the global internal unit of FC. So instead of App::PropertyFloat it should be App::PropertyLength in DrawViewAnnotation.h. -> Proposed fix: PR 2689
  • The annotation property LineSpace is a percentage value, so instead of App::PropertyInteger it should be App::PropertyPercent in DrawViewAnnotation.h. -> Proposed fix: PR 2689
  • There is no tooltip for the annotation property TextStyle. This property is also no base property because it only affects the annotation text not e.g. the annotation caption or label text. -> Proposed fix: PR 2689
  • The tooltips for the properties X, Y and rotation refer to explicit to the unit mm and to View. But users might use another base unit and also these properties are used for many other features, like e.g. annotation. -> Proposed fix: PR 2682
  • The toolbar buttons *Add a line to a view, *Insert cosmetic vertex, *Insert center line, *Remove a cosmetic object, *Change appearance of a line and *Add welding information to a leader must only be enabled when an appropriate element is selected.
    The same applies for all toolbar buttons from the TechDraw Views toolbar.
  • Line widths of projection views can be negative and have no unit, see this post. -> Proposed fix: PR 2761
  • Hatch in cross section view is broken in SVG export, see this post. -> Fixed by: PR 2785
  • No feedback of ProjGroup' Auto Distribute change when saving, see this post.
  • Missing auto-apply for cross section view label, see this post.
  • Wrong default folder for saving and creating pages, see this post.
  • Unicode characters in pages are not exported to SVG (Windows-only), see this bug.
Proposals
  • Rename the tools this way in the code: [Workbench]_[Tool], where [Tool] is a substantive that can be used as part of a sentence. (This is done in the Draft Workbench, for example: Draft_Line, Draft_Polygon, Draft_Rectangle, Draft_Array, etc.) -> proposal from vocx -> done in PR 2694
  • The TechDraw menu is too long. There should be a submenu for every existing toolbar. So e.g. a submenu for all tools currently grouped in the dimension toolbar. -> proposal from Syres -> proposed fix: PR 2684
Uniformication
Currently the different menu names, tooltips etc. use non-uniform naming. For example some words are written with capital letters but the same words are written with small letters in other menus, sometimes the Wiki is more up to date than the tooltips, sometimes vice versa. This is easy to fix and the list will list the PRs to improve the situation. Once a PR is merged, the list entry will be marked as such but stay as reference. It will also be stated as soon as the Wiki pages are updated after the PR merge.

Last edited by uwestoehr on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 42 times in total.
Syres
Veteran

Re: Collection of TD issues, proposals and ideas for FC 0.19

Post by Syres »

Does the length of the Techdraw menu not bother anyone else, I'd like to see some submenus such as 'Dimension >' which would help with those of us who don't have a 4k monitor?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Syres wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:32 pm Does the length of the Techdraw menu not bother anyone else, I'd like to see some submenus such as 'Dimension >' which would help with those of us who don't have a 4k monitor?
Thanks. I added it to the list and will right now try to make a PR.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Monitor size is indeed an issue, but I would rather pack everything else in a submenu, but not the dimensions, and not the balloons. I use them most often.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:49 pm Monitor size is indeed an issue, but I would rather pack everything else in a submenu, but not the dimensions, and not the balloons. I use them most often.
Yep, absolutely fine with that.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:49 pm Monitor size is indeed an issue, but I would rather pack everything else in a submenu, but not the dimensions, and not the balloons. I use them most often.
The menu is not for the frequent usage. We have the toolbars instead for quick access.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I had assumed that Syres was talking about the menu in a more general sense including the icons, where it may be sensible to create some dropdown menus like polygon has them in Sketcher.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 pm Thanks to the rainy weekend I spent some time with TD and want to write down all the small things I encountered.
PRs 2679, 2682 2684 have been merged. Thank you.
PRs 2687 and 2689 are waiting on Travis (seems very slow today).

The toolbar button Show/hide invisible edges in a View must only be enabled when a View is selected. Currently it is always enabled and can lead to a crash, see this post.
The toolbar buttons Add a line to a view, Insert cosmetic vertex, Insert center line, Remove a cosmetic object, Change appearance of a line and Add welding information to a leader must only be enabled when an appropriate element is selected.
>>>> have to think about these for a bit. Right now enable/disable is based on having a Page open and at least 1 View on the Page. The selection only gets evaluated after the function button is pressed.

Text in balloon annotations is not centered, see this post.
>>>> balloons depend on old dimension code. recent dimension improvements broke balloon text centering. need to think about this one too.

Thanks for this list.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:30 am PRs 2687 and 2689 are waiting on Travis (seems very slow today).
PR 2687 and 2689 have been merged.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 pm Thanks to the rainy weekend I spent some time with TD and want to write down all the small things I encountered. This idea is to have a live list that will reflect the current status. Note: The list will only contain small issues that I think can be fixed/improved for FC 0.19. For general issues, please open a new thread for discussion.
Just wanted to say, great job with this thread and all your work. Cheers!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs