Omitting one or more sides when contouring/profiling

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Omitting one or more sides when contouring/profiling

Post by chrisb »

mlampert wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:24 am In case somebody has some time for testing,
Sounds great! Is this a pure python solution, so that I could just replace the Mod/Path directory?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

chrisb wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 am
mlampert wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:24 am In case somebody has some time for testing,
Sounds great! Is this a pure python solution, so that I could just replace the Mod/Path directory?
Not quite, it loads the dialog from the tresource file - so you would have to regenerate the Path, or edit PathDressupPathBoundaryGui.py to load the file directly. If you do the latter it is a pure python only implementation.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the (slightly disappointing :) ) answer. If you are only halfway confident, I vote for just including it in 0.19. After all it is a development version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

I hope this demonstrates how it works and what it does:
boundary-dressup.gif
boundary-dressup.gif (924.89 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I guess the position of the box is controlled by its placement? And non-rectangular areas can be defined via existing solid? Then it is exactly what was needed since long time.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

It's probably not that obvious from the gif but Stock002 in this example is a regular box, you can resize it, rotate it, move it around. And like the regular Job.Stock it can be a Box, a Cylinder, an extension of the model's BoundBox or an arbitrary solid.

EDIT: It was @schnebeck who provided the foundation - so all beers should go his way!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Schnebeck, I owe you indeed a beer. Markus, I owe you at least a crate of beer.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

That is awesome! I just played with it and cut random areas of a complex profile with the laser.

Look it even brought Sliptonic back from the land of the living!
schnebeck

Post by schnebeck »

mlampert wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:24 am In case somebody has some time for testing, I did a POC for the "Boundary Dressup":
https://github.com/mlampert/FreeCAD/tre ... nt-dressup
mlampert wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 pm It was @schnebeck who provided the foundation - so all beers should go his way!
Cool stuff! I donate my beer if this gets merged into the main devel tree soon :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot

Thorsten