macOS: Possible to have 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse support built into official releases?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PistonPin

macOS: Possible to have 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse support built into official releases?

Post by PistonPin »

Hello everyone!

I have a question. And depending on the answer to this question, I also might have a request. :)

Currently I'm trying to transition from Fusion 360 to FreeCAD. I had to give it a few tries, but now I feel accustomed enough to make the switch. (My main use case is designing functional parts for 3d-printing.)

I've spent the last two or three evenings trying to build 0.18 and 0.19 with SpaceMouse support – with mediocre success. (FreeCAD successfully compiled, but the resulting FreeCAD.app wouldn't start anymore if moved to the /Applications folder. It runs if it is started from the folder where it was built, but would throw an error about numpy.)

While I was going through the cmake options, I was wondering if it would be possible to have SpaceMouse support built into the official FreeCAD releases for macOS?

I know that the config script checks for the presence of the 3Dconnexion software and automatically adds support if it is able to find said software. But would setting

Code: Select all

FREECAD_USE_3DCONNEXION:BOOL=ON
and

Code: Select all

3DCONNEXIONCLIENT_FRAMEWORK:FILEPATH=/Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework
be enough to compile it into FreeCAD, even if there is no 3Dconnexion software installed?

For now I stick to 0.17. :)

Cheers,
Alexander
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: macOS: Possible to have 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse support built into official releases?

Post by sgrogan »

PistonPin wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 pm For now I stick to 0.17. :)
I think its working again in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
"fight the good fight"
PistonPin

Re: macOS: Possible to have 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse support built into official releases?

Post by PistonPin »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:00 pm
PistonPin wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 pm For now I stick to 0.17. :)
I think its working again in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
Nope, unfortunately not.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I don't think we have enabled this option for Mac. Package for spnav is available, but iicrc it didn't work out of the box.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

be enough to compile it into FreeCAD, even if there is no 3Dconnexion software installed?
I think for macOS you need the SDK installed because when looking into GuiNativeEventMac.h then a couple of methods are declared as extern and it includes some header files which are not part of the FreeCAD code base.
PistonPin

Post by PistonPin »

I think for macOS you need the SDK installed because when looking into GuiNativeEventMac.h then a couple of methods are declared as extern and it includes some header files which are not part of the FreeCAD code base.
Ah, okay, I see. Thanks for the clarification!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

FreeCAD 0.17 macOS packages were build and deployed from Travis, currently Conda packages are used for this purpose. If you are building FreeCAD yourself, you can take a clue from here:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... travis.yml

Look for the following section located in the .travis.yml:
#Install the 3DConnexion frameworks
P.S. As for the Conda macOS packages. AFAIK there is no FOSS counterpart, like there is one for Linux, therefore the question for @looo i guess is, if the same step could be included in the build procedure on Conda, or not? That is adding a step of downloading and installing the 3DConnexion frameworks, before building the FreeCAD?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

PistonPin

Post by PistonPin »

triplus wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:01 am Another tutorial (Conda oriented):

https://vectronic.io/posts/building-fre ... ing-conda/
Thanks for the links, triplus! The second one was what I've used to build my semi-working version. :)

I will have a look at the Travis file and give it another go over the weekend. (I'm going to install a fresh macOS on a seperate hard drive for development tasks like this, so that I have a clean starting point.)
hajduk

Post by hajduk »

PistonPin wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:29 pm
triplus wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:01 am Another tutorial (Conda oriented):

https://vectronic.io/posts/building-fre ... ing-conda/
Thanks for the links, triplus! The second one was what I've used to build my semi-working version. :)

I will have a look at the Travis file and give it another go over the weekend. (I'm going to install a fresh macOS on a seperate hard drive for development tasks like this, so that I have a clean starting point.)
Pistonpin,

did you have any success?
Currently I am very hesitant to move upwards from 0.17 as I need the 3Dconnexion device.

Regards

Martin
Last edited by hajduk on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.