Moving in and out of Sketcher and changing views

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Moving in and out of Sketcher and changing views

Post by freedman »

This post is base on what could occur when entering and exiting Sketcher. I have just put in 3 feature requests for things I would like as options.

1) Keep the current camera view (probably a 3D view) when entering sketcher.
2) Use an existing icon to toggle sketcher camera view, last view and 2D.
3) Add an icon to center the selected sketch on the screen no matter where it is.
A link to the post: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 7&start=20

There certainly are many options to select from in the sketcher preferences, will it ever end.

Here is a thought. Could the transition to and from sketcher be hooked to a couple macros? Currently the view changing transition is hard coded, could there be just one option to disable view changing code and instead run the users macro code? This way everyone would have access to what the view looks like.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Moving in and out of Sketcher and changing views

Post by vocx »

freedman wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:45 pm ...
3) Add an icon to center the selected sketch on the screen no matter where it is.
I feel this can be done with the selection view; choose "Zoom to fit". It's the same as the Std ViewFitSelection from the Std View Menu.
...Currently the view changing transition is hard coded, could there be just one option to disable view changing code and instead run the users macro code? ...
I don't like this. Allowing arbitrary macros to be run is always a vulnerability.

I much prefer your previous proposal of giving the user more options: keep camera view, last view, 2D view, others.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

freedman wrote: ↑

I feel this can be done with the selection view; choose "Zoom to fit". It's the same as the Std ViewFitSelection from the Std View Menu.
Not sure what you mean exactly, do you see "zoom to fit ' work in sketcher or was your intention to use this icon? You do make a point that this icon could/should do the job. To recap, focus the screen away from the sketch area, open a sketch and hit " zoom to selection", nothing happens while in sketcher.
Thanks
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

A way I wanted to tackle this was to add a Back/Forward buttons for views. Like, it auto saves a camera when one has left it there for a while, and a back button quickly restores it.

With sketches, it would work like:
* open sketch
-> view rotates
* click "Back"
-> rotation is undone
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 am A way I wanted to tackle this was to add a Back/Forward buttons for views.
Sounds like a good /useful feature.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

A way I wanted to tackle this was to add a Back/Forward buttons for views.
The only problem with that is the views aren't seemless. My goals is to stay in the 3D work space as I move thru Sketcher. I think it depends alot on what your drawing, if your trying to fit a bunch of different shapes (like for CNC milling) then 3D-sketching could be ideal, if your trying to draw something in detail then 2D is the best. I think the optional route is still the way to go.