[BUG] how to make a freecad image transparent?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DarkPhoinix

[BUG] how to make a freecad image transparent?

Post by DarkPhoinix »

Hi all,

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16131 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 3129ae4296e40ed20e7b3d460b86e6969acbe1c3
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)

Is there a way to make an image transparent to better see the lines below?I tried changing the transparency but nothing!
tastiera forum trasparenza.jpg
tastiera forum trasparenza.jpg (200.21 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
Last edited by DarkPhoinix on Mon May 23, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bejant
Veteran

Re: how to make a freecad image transparent?

Post by bejant »

DarkPhoinix wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:08 pm Is there a way to make an image transparent
Not that I know of. Instead I use Data Tab > Property > Placement > Position to move the Image Plane down or back a tiny bit so that my Sketcher lines are just above or in front of the Image Plane.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I use this tool every day.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 0&start=40

Oops, I missed that it was an image file. This probably won't help.
DarkPhoinix

Post by DarkPhoinix »

bejant wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:53 pm Not that I know of. Instead I use Data Tab > Property > Placement > Position to move the Image Plane down or back a tiny bit so that my Sketcher lines are just above or in front of the Image Plane.
tastiera forum trasparenza2.jpg
tastiera forum trasparenza2.jpg (136.34 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
It's already under the grid but the image is black, can you change the color of the grid? However it would be useful to be able to make transparent the image on Fusion360 you can!

freedman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:12 pm I use this tool every day.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 0&start=40

Oops, I missed that it was an image file. This probably won't help.
This tool is very useful !! can you do it for Draft? I can't use it launch the macro but nothing happens on Draft!
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I can't use it launch the macro but nothing happens on Draft!
I updated the macro in the link (no rev change), it should now work in Draft.
DarkPhoinix

Post by DarkPhoinix »

freedman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:17 pm
I can't use it launch the macro but nothing happens on Draft!
I updated the macro in the link (no rev change), it should now work in Draft.
i go to macro, execute, but i can't see anything. Need to install in another directory
?C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Macro ?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Sometimes macros get put behind the main screen, you can use View-panels to check if it's back there. You might also need to restart FC. Another option in the same link, openbrain made a newer version that might stay visible (on top) better. I have an updated version but I haven't had time to test.

Also, that link has a few different versions on there, kind of a mess. I will try to clean it up. The version I fixed is in the first post. I have seen issues with macros acting different on OS's, especially if written by an inexperienced python coder. :)
DarkPhoinix

Post by DarkPhoinix »

freedman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:51 pm Sometimes macros get put behind the main screen, you can use View-panels to check if it's back there. You might also need to restart FC. Another option in the same link, openbrain made a newer version that might stay visible (on top) better. I have an updated version but I haven't had time to test.

Also, that link has a few different versions on there, kind of a mess. I will try to clean it up. The version I fixed is in the first post. I have seen issues with macros acting different on OS's.
In to pannel i can see Vis but no windows in the Desktop!
freecad vis non va.jpeg
freecad vis non va.jpeg (753.62 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

DarkPhoinix wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:47 pm It's already under the grid but the image is black, can you change the color of the grid?
We can't change the color of the Grid in Sketcher.

I don't use the Grid in Sketcher so let me suggest a work flow to get you started. In your Sketch create a Rectangle, use the Symmetry Constraint to Constrain opposite corners of the Rectangle to the Origin, and then apply a Vertical Distance Constraint and a Horizontal Distance Constraint to make the rectangle match the actual measurements of your real-world piece.

With the Sketch visible just in front of the Image Plane, from the Data Tab change the Property > Size for X and Y so that the outline of the image of your piece matches the size of the Rectangle in Sketch. It looks like you'll also have to use the Property > Placement to Rotate your Image Plane a little to make it completely upright and not skewed.

Now that the picture of your object is the correct size you can edit Sketch to begin creating your model.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

DarkPhoinix wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:08 pm Is there a way to make an image transparent to better see the lines below?I tried changing the transparency but nothing!
tastiera forum trasparenza.jpg
This is a bug in FreeCAD and should be filed to mantis...
Would you please rename the first post adding [bug] to title
Anyway as a workaround you can save your image as a 'png' with transparency and assign there a high level of transparency...
Importing the file as ImagePlane will keep the transparency effect, but without the ability to change its value internally.