integrity cannot be verified on MacOS 10.15 Catalina

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mko

integrity cannot be verified on MacOS 10.15 Catalina

Post by mko »

Hi forum, first time poster here. I was going to put this in the tracker but it sent me to post here first.

FreeCAD does not run on MacOS 10.15 Catalina. I just upgraded from public beta 6 to public beta 8 and on all versions running FreeCAD produces the following message:

“FreeCAD.app” can’t be opened because its integrity cannot be verified.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I don't know what exactly changed with Catalina but I've found another developer facing the same problem with their app https://stackoverflow.com/questions/574 ... x-catalina

What does the forum think? Thanks.
looo
Veteran

Re: integrity cannot be verified on MacOS 10.15 Catalina

Post by looo »

mko wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:49 pm What does the forum think? Thanks.
Mac is simple annoying.
mko wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:49 pm “FreeCAD.app” can’t be opened because its integrity cannot be verified.
Maybe this is because we haven't signed the app?
mko

Post by mko »

It has something to do with signing the app or what Apple calls app notarization. For now I've figured out a workaround: open terminal and run the following command to manually remove quarantine attribute:

Code: Select all

sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/FreeCAD.app
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

mko wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am It has something to do with signing the app or what Apple calls app notarization. For now I've figured out a workaround: open terminal and run the following command to manually remove quarantine attribute:

Code: Select all

sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/FreeCAD.app
Can someone confirm :point_up_2:
chrisb wrote:
Potential 'Known Issue' + workaround (once it's confirmed)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
mko

Post by mko »

I've checked this bug but I don't think it's related as the issues are rather different. I could not start FreeCAD at all before removing the quarantine flag. Catalina seems to increase security requirements for apps and FreeCAD may need to be signed or "notarized" by Apple.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:33 am
chrisb wrote:
Potential 'Known Issue' + workaround (once it's confirmed)
10.15 is hardly used here and the solution sounds very convincing. I have added it to the known issues, although we have no confirmation yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Dave4u2

Post by Dave4u2 »

Apple have used Gatekeeper for a while now to prevent applications from developers who have not gone through the App Store for their applications. This is fairly common, and not unique to Catalina (10.14 Mojave and 10.13 High Sierra also had Gatekeeper)

An additional workaround is to right-click (or control-click) the FreeCAD App, and click Open.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Dave4u2 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:57 am An additional workaround is to right-click (or control-click) the FreeCAD App, and click Open.
This is known, but it seems not to work always.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Sane

Post by Sane »

Thanks for this thread! I was not able to download freecad v19 from github, cause there is no .dmg (18.12.1019). - it was hard to find another version. - For non-proffessionals: You have to go to: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases - sroll down to version 0.18.3 (this is the latest version with a .dmg data) - click on "Assets" and there is the .dmg (Today: 18.12.2019). Install and open it the normal way, but press "ctrl" before you start (as said in the comment above). From this point, it will open normal, as usual. Why this problem appears: The Apple-Site says: The developer has to sign (https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT202491 - german). Good luck everybody