AppImage for FreeCAD 0.19 craps out on me

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: AppImage for FreeCAD 0.19 craps out on me

Post by openBrain »

Petert wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:59 am Update (2 minutes later):
Nope, pm send to you is still stuck in the 'out' folder just like the PM I tried to send out last night. Why?
I wonder if it isn't the normal behavior that PMs stay in the out folder till they are read by their recipients. ;)
Petert

Post by Petert »

openBrain wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:10 am I wonder if it isn't the normal behavior that PMs stay in the out folder till they are read by their recipients. ;)
Did you get the pm I sent you a few minutes ago?
I am a refugee from Fusion 360. Switched over to FreeCAD and am spreading the word. After years of very little progress I switched again to another solution. I wish you all the best!
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Petert wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:35 am Did you get the pm I sent you a few minutes ago?
Just read it. :)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Petert wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:59 am
Saw your DM and responded now. You should have gotten an email from our wiki with login credentials
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

openBrain wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:13 pm I second @triplus. Same problem some days ago in the french subforum. Replacing nouveau by proprietary drivers solved the problem.
As it may not be easy, here is a good tutorial. ;)
Yes, installing Nvidia's own drivers is a mess. I used thier install script , it got half way through and just crapped out without displaying a reason or error message. This left my system near unusable in a neither in nor out state. It took me half a day to pick out all the cruft it had half installed and clean up to a fully working machine again. Caveat emptor.

Also , while their driver are better than the still half baked nouveau drivers , they do not support older chipsets.

My onboard GPU is just the wrong side of the dividing line ( v304 vs v340 ) . My mobo is a 3GHz dual core Athlon which I have no wish to throw out because of this. The only "work around" for that seems to be installing a more recent graphics card in PCI. However, that will certainly have at least one turbo fan on it will probably add about 6dBA to my ambient noise level. :(

If the QT / nouveau clashes have at least been identified, there is hope. I have to say that I have zero problems with nouveau outside of FreeCAD, maybe that is just that nothing else I use needs qt webengine thingy.

Prop NV driver installation is a minefield, tread carefully and have a clear path back before you start. There is a high chance it will turn to crap.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

triplus wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:58 pm Install proprietary GPU driver or use a workaround for Nouveau:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 83#p342562

P.S. Looks like a Nouveau/Qt WebEngine (upstream) related issue.
My comprehension of german somewhat limited. It seems the crux of info there is about a 0.19 AppImage not working an apparent fix being:

Code: Select all

QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL=1
export QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL
Where is this related to
Nouveau/Qt WebEngine (upstream) related issue
?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If you are experiencing crashes with FreeCAD 0.19 AppImage, use a Nouveau GPU driver and would like to continue to use Nouveau GPU driver:

Code: Select all

export QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL=1
./FreeCAD.AppImage
If such workaround won't help on your side, you likely have a different issue.

P.S. Qt WebEngine is a Qt module, it is used for Start/Web workbench purposes in FreeCAD 0.19. Previously Qt WebKit module was used for such purposes. Qt WebKit got deprecated, hence we moved to using Qt WebEngine in FreeCAD 0.19. That is why FreeCAD 0.18 doesn't have such issues. Anyway, currently Qt WebEngine module has the mentioned issue with Nouveau GPU drivers, on i am guessing some combinations of GPU cards and we can't do much about it. Qt or Google (Chromium) developers will hopefully address the issue in the future. If and when that happens, you won't need to use the workaround anymore.