Ubuntu 16.04 Python 3 builds coming to the PPAs

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Ubuntu 16.04 Python 3 builds coming to the PPAs

Post by kkremitzki »

I finally got this build configuration working (Qt 4, Python 3) on Ubuntu 16.04. Turns out the pivy package was broken on 16.04 specifically because I was using all the hardening flags and needed to turn this one off: https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening#DEB_B ... IE_-pie.29

This means Python 3 builds will be available on all Ubuntu stable releases, and that daily builds with this build configuration will be coming back to Ubuntu 16.04.

Beginning soon, I'd like to drop Python 2 from the daily build PPA completely, since it's already been dropped from Debian.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Python 3 builds coming to the PPAs

Post by triplus »

Thanks.

P.S. I planned to stay on Ubuntu 16.04 in foreseeable future, but likely will eventually migrate to Ubuntu 20.04, likely before officially released. I was able to make Unity 7 work rather good in some tests i made. In addition using file manager like Nemo, instead of the Nautilus, that, among a few other things, like enabling wobbly windows (Compiz), returned a polished desktop operating system alike experience. Global menu support is basically a must for me ATM. All sort of small glitches GNOME devs introduced in the past couple of years, well default Ubuntu 20.04 experience likely just won't do it for me. That is the first time it happened and i am glad there is a rather easy fix for that, when it comes to Ubuntu 20.04.