Bug or Feature in 0.19 Sketcher?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Repman

Bug or Feature in 0.19 Sketcher?

Post by Repman »

Hi there,
after a discussion in the german forum I was asked to point the following in the international forum. Hope here is the right place and hope you can help me in this issue. Chrisb pointed out that programmer "realthunder" is in charge of programming in the sketcher of 0.19. So, hopefully you can clearify the situation:
Testing the 0.19 since a few weeks I found, that using the placement dialog during an open sketcher task, does not show the result immediatly. Here is the behavior in both versions, 0.18:
phpBB [video]

And here in 0.19:

phpBB [video]

I'm using freecad since 0.13 and the above described behavior seems to be new. Is it a bug ore is it a feature extinction?

The sketch is not attached to anything but the main plane. So change the sketch position should not be a problem.
I think that a change of a value should be shown immediatly, but latest when I press the "recompute" button. In the above mentioned example the result can be seen not before I leave the sketcher task dialog. This is very unhandy in my point of view. Can you make it work again as it was before? Please take that as a feature request, if it is not a bug :-)

Regards Stefan
Last edited by Repman on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Bug or Feature in 0.19 Sketcher?

Post by DeepSOIC »

I suspect it is indeed realthunder who created this particular problem. It is hopefully really easy to fix this particular behavior. But fixing it if you move a containing Part or Link might be substantially more involved.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Open discussion forum.

realthunder is not really in charge of developing the Sketcher, I rather guess that the Big Merge caused this change.
realthunder wrote:ping
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

PR submitted here
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks. I found some similar issues which are hopefully fixed with this PR too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Repman

Post by Repman »

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, what does that mean "PR submitted"?
Will there be a fix for the problem in an upcoming version?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

PR means "Pull Request", i.e. a fix has been submitted and someone with the appropriate rights - usually Werner - has to accept and commit it so it will occur in the next 0.19 version.