Which Workbench is similar to AutoCAD 2D?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Paulpot

Which Workbench is similar to AutoCAD 2D?

Post by Paulpot »

I’m trying to renovate my basement and need to make 2D drawing. Basically I need lines, dimension, text, hatch and finally PDF output. Which workbench I should use?

Thanks..
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Which Workbench is similar to AutoCAD 2D?

Post by wandererfan »

Paulpot wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 pm I’m trying to renovate my basement and need to make 2D drawing. Basically I need lines, dimension, text, hatch and finally PDF output. Which workbench I should use?
There is no FreeCAD workbench that is a clone or work-alike of ACAD.

Architects tend to use Arch and/or Draft. It sounds like you want Draft. Maybe Sketcher to layout the basic floor plan, then Draft to make it pretty.
Paulpot

Post by Paulpot »

Thanks buddy for your suggestion.

FreeCAD has long learning curve for ACAD users.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Paulpot wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 pm I’m trying to renovate my basement and need to make 2D drawing. Basically I need lines, dimension, text, hatch and finally PDF output. Which workbench I should use?

Thanks..
you may consider LibreCAD for 2D drawings.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Paulpot wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:53 pm Thanks buddy for your suggestion.

FreeCAD has long learning curve for ACAD users.
FreeCAD took a lot of inspiration from mechanical modellers like Catia and SolidWorks, as creating a free 3D modeller was its original intention. Drafting tools to draw in 2D came a few years later. The Draft Workbench author is an architect, so he took inspiration from programs like Autocad and Revit to develop it. He is also the developer of the Arch Workbench which builds on top of Draft to create 3D objects from the 2D geometry.

See tutorials and video tutorials if you are interested in drawing actual architectural models in 3D. I think with FreeCAD it's probably easier to start with a 3D model, and then obtain a 2D projection that resembles a traditional floor plan. I think drawing only a 2D floor plan is kinda old fashioned, but it can be done in FreeCAD of course.

Manual:Traditional_2D_drafting

TechDraw for 2D CAD
yorik wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:58 pm As you all probably know, DraftSight ceases to be free by the end of this year, so that basically leaves Linux with just a few good free 2D CAD options:
- LibreCAD, free and opensource, but partial DWG support and features (no TTF fonts, etc)
- QCAD (from which LibreCAD was originally forked), free and opensource (no DWG support), or paid for DWG support (which I did, BTW, it's cheap and I like the development model that the QCAD author tries to achieve)

I think FreeCAD could be a decent third option there, so I am starting to use it as my main 2D app, and fix issues as I meet them. This includes a number of TD issues too, so I thought I'd start a thread here to keep track of progresses.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:56 pm There is no FreeCAD workbench that is a clone or work-alike of ACAD.

Architects tend to use Arch and/or Draft. It sounds like you want Draft. Maybe Sketcher to layout the basic floor plan, then Draft to make it pretty.
Umm. What? Your two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point of view, but wouldn't you say Draft is like AutoCAD? Draft pretty much can create all the basic shapes that something like the legendary AutoCAD R14 could produce.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

If you talk about Autocad 2D , maybe you understand Autocad LT
in this case Draft is the best wb to seams it
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

wanderfan wrote: There is no FreeCAD workbench that is a clone or work-alike of ACAD.

vocx wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 am Umm. What? Your two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.
For me, it's pretty clear. While there is no FreeCAD-workbench that aims to fully replace autocad, Draft is the closest to do so.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

vocx wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 am Umm. What? Your two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.
Don't see the contradiction. It has been a while, but what I remember of ACAD looks nothing like Draft. If you want an ACAD clone, we don't have one.

If you want to do 2d drafting, then our tool for that is (mostly) Draft.