Manipulator Workbench Menus and Point to Point Alignment

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
WhiteShadow

Manipulator Workbench Menus and Point to Point Alignment

Post by WhiteShadow »

Hello All,

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16117 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: dbb4cc6415bac848a294f03b80f65e888d531742
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Manipulator added using Addon Manager

I am having problems after installing the manipulator Workbench. They appear as in the snapshot below. None of the other workbenches or downloaded addons have any dialog issues. Can anyone tell me if I need to change a setting or install this a different way?
Problem with Manipulator Workbench Dialogs
Problem with Manipulator Workbench Dialogs
Manipulator Workbench Dialogs-Menus.JPG (95.32 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

In addition I have a simple transform alignment issue that I haven't discovered how to do correctly. Not sure if I have to use a plane to plane transformation or if I should be able to do this Hole 1 and Hole 2 Center Point to Location 1 to Location 2 center point in a simple alignment.
The 2 hole centers need to be concentric in order to provide the correct vector orientation of the positioning block.
Two hole alignment, concentric centers
Two hole alignment, concentric centers
two hole alignment.PNG (87.1 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Manipulator Workbench Menus and Point to Point Alignment

Post by easyw-fc »

WhiteShadow wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:45 pm OS: Windows 10
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Manipulator added using Addon Manager

I am having problems after installing the manipulator Workbench. They appear as in the snapshot below. None of the other workbenches or downloaded addons have any dialog issues. Can anyone tell me if I need to change a setting or install this a different way?
Hi,
you should have a very high dpi setting
Here I started to dig into this issue...
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p250178

Would you please digit the following code in the python FC console:

Code: Select all

from PySide import QtCore,QtGui;cp=QtGui.QDesktopWidget();ag=cp.availableGeometry();print(ag.size());print(cp.logicalDpiX());print(cp.logicalDpiY())
and post the result?

Which is your Display setting?
(it should be under Settings, Display, Scale and Layout)
WhiteShadow

Post by WhiteShadow »

easyw-fc

Thank you for the reply!

I will work on the first question next...I have not opened the FreeCad Console yet...and will see how to query this line.

Here is the answer to your last question, and yes I have a high resolution screen for processing photos and rendering.
Windows Display Settings
Windows Display Settings
Display settiings in Windows 10 High Resoluton Screen.PNG (29.55 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
WhiteShadow

Post by WhiteShadow »

Hello M,

To answer your first question:

After entering the command line input in the Console Window:

from PySide import QtCore,QtGui;cp=QtGui.QDesktopWidget();ag=cp.availableGeometry();print(ag.size());print(cp.logicalDpiX());print(cp.logicalDpiY())

I got the following:

PySide2.QtCore.QSize(3840, 2084)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hello WhiteShadow! Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum :)

Maybe you know or not, easyw-fc is the author of the Manipulator Workbench.
Your in good hands with your help request,
"fight the good fight"
WhiteShadow

Post by WhiteShadow »

sgrogan,

Thank you for letting me know and for the welcome! Been using freeCad for a few months. Used a lot of CAD/CAM and database systems. FreeCad is creating the stuff I am currently dreaming at the moment,solid models, fixtures, drawings, .step and .stl files for 3D printing.. So I am pleased with my progress so far and the capabilities of the tool...using a lot of workbenches, like fasteners, very cool!

Cheers!
UR_
Veteran

Post by UR_ »

I am running this build:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... nVS2015.7z

on this display settings win 10:

Screenshot 002.png
Screenshot 002.png (17.86 KiB) Viewed 1442 times

I think since this build some HDPI support becomes true ;)

Screenshot 001.png
Screenshot 001.png (155.05 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
WhiteShadow

Post by WhiteShadow »

easyw-fc

Thank you for the Help! At 150% the dialogs behave. But as you are probably aware, the scale of text/display of the entire workspace at that % is not workable. I may be able to use the manipulator guides and still use 250% display and muddle through, the menus still work but I may have difficulty picking some menu selections at that display scale...I will give it a shot.

Regards
WhiteShadow

Post by WhiteShadow »

easyw-fc

Would it be possible to have a preference setting in the manipulator preferences to manage the Menu box size (small med large, x-large) and apply a scale factor apply the text and Icons for this kind of issue? Or something along that line.

I can make the manipulator dialog box bigger, but they don't scale the content. In addition, the docking space for the menus is much larger than the initial dialog box, however, it also does not scale to the docking box size either. Not a python programmer, so sorry if I am making suggestions that would otherwise be no simple task.

Regards,
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

WhiteShadow wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:41 pm At 150% the dialogs behave. But as you are probably aware, the scale of text/display of the entire workspace at that % is not workable. I may be able to use the manipulator guides and still use 250% display and muddle through, the menus still work but I may have difficulty picking some menu selections at that display scale...I will give it a shot.
Hi @WhiteShadow, it is weird because on my win 10 pc, if I change the Scale factor, my tools will arrange accordingly... I tested it till the factor of 225% ... and even with two screens with different dpi settings, when I move the tool (i.e. Aligner) from one screen to the other, the dialog is adapting to the screen dpi setting.

Then it could be an issue with your video drivers...

Would please someone with Manipulator WB and Win could test the result in different scale factors?

@WhiteShadow would you please test it with FC0.19 and see if this behavior is still present (FC0.19 is using Qt5.12)?