Machine speed gcode not generated correctly

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Re: Machine speed gcode not generated correctly

Post by falviani »

I thought I did - must be having a senior moment. I'll upload it in the morning. Sorry.
falviani

Post by falviani »

Here's the project that demonstrates the problem I found. Sorry for not uploading it before :(

Frank
Attachments
FlushTwice_v3.FCStd
(614.68 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I see now what you mean. You expect "split output" to create self contained jobs. Instead it just splits the output for small machines, which cannot load huge jobs at once (well usually they are big with small memory, like a former colleague of mine). It may be sensible to have such an option, but to me this looks rather like three separate jobs.

sliptonic and mlampert may judge this.

If you use the first job as template, then you are almost as fast creating those as if the operations live all in the same job.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
falviani

Post by falviani »

I see. I'd get the desired result if I created a job and the first operation, a 2nd job and operation, and a 3rd job and operation. I just did a quick experiment, and just copying the job doesn't seem to do what I want, but creating new jobs/operations isn't a huge deal for now. After all the jobs, I can just post process each in turn.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

I'm not familiar with the coordinate splitting - not sure if this is a bug or a feature. I see what you are trying to do and would follow Chris' recommendation and splitting this into 3 jobs. Note that when you create a new Job you can select an existing Job as its "Model" - in which case the second job gets the same base objects in the same position/orientation - in other words it uses the same setup.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mlampert wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:33 pm in other words it uses the same setup.
Sadly it doesn't use the same tools, and it doesn't use the same output.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:04 am
mlampert wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:33 pm in other words it uses the same setup.
Sadly it doesn't use the same tools, and it doesn't use the same output.
It does if you use the same template ;)

The idea here was that you want different tools - why else would you want multiple jobs with the same setup? This is the very poor man's version of a tool changer :mrgreen:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mlampert wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:06 amThis is the very poor man's version of a tool changer
You are right, and it makes sense. I had just tried to follow OP's use case and thought it would suffice to reuse the job. So there is one question left, which I forgot to ask explicitely: What is the use case of this split? Could a stop between the operations be enough?
falviani wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:48 pm After all the jobs, I can just post process each in turn.
falviani

Post by falviani »

Since I was having trouble with the engrave operation (I'll explain that shortly) I decided to use the profile edges operation, and select the edges of each letter manually. I selected the interior of each letter and created a pocket so I had selectable edges. Now that I had edges, that was resulting in a huge list, so I broke it into groups, 1 per word, to make it manageable.

Engrave operation problem: I created a shapestring in the draft workbench, and used the 'convert between draft and sketch objects' to create a sketch that could be selected when creating the engrave toolpath. However, I get an error: 'Document.cpp (3462): Failed to recompute unnamed engrave: Part.BSplineObject has no attribute 'Axis' so I am stuck.

By the way, I can't copy text out of the report view :(

I hope this clarifies why I did what I did.

Thanks for your help and advice,
Frank
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I can perfectly understand the difficulties in creating the paths, but once you get them, you can mill them in one go.
The question is, why you generate three files, i.e. why did you check in Job->Output the Split output box.